What would be best for growing Watermelons?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

trickyfarmergirl

I just ordered some watermelons seeds and wanted to purchase a container to grow them in but I don't know what is best to use. I was going to use the usual plastic containers they use at greenhouses where its 6 plants and you just pull them out of their little hole and plant them in your garden.
Also we may not have room to place the watermelons in the garden. Would it be ok to use a bigger pot just let them grow and dangle down if it doesn't damage them in anyway? Or is it best to transport them later into the garden? If I can find room.
If anyone knows of any great containers to grow them in please let me know and if possible give me a link where I may be able to purchase them. Or just give me the name and I can search for it myself. Thank you.

Nicole

The watermelon plants will get pretty large and ramble. It would take a large container for it to be effective. I have not tried a container for watermelon, but I have for tomatoes. I use half-barrels and have four of them on the back porch. For a large plant like a watermelon you will probably have to feed it occasionally with some fertilizer.

I kinda figured it would need quite a bit of room for the roots. What kind of container can I use that would be best just to start them off?

Only thing is that I read from that link is that is for little watermelons. The seeds I purchased are like the store bought watermelons. Bigger the better for this family if you ask me. With my sister's fiance living here he doesn't just take a few pieces not to eat too much to be considerate of others. He eats how much he wants. Also with the rest of us who love watermelon don't get much when he eats a lot of it.
I've seen the link searching around for something good to put watermelons seeds in to grow.

We always go for small watermelons here because we don't have a long enough season for the large ones.
Welcome to the site.

We are pretty well stuck with the small ones too for the same reason. I have seen the watermelon plants at the farm store in the little 4" plastic pots. That should work to get them started.

We always go for small watermelons here because we don't have a long enough season for the large ones.
Welcome to the site.

Thank You. Small would be nice but wouldn't last very long. But I guess you could get a lot of small watermelons on a vine though. That could almost equal up to a few big watermelons.

We are pretty well stuck with the small ones too for the same reason. I have seen the watermelon plants at the farm store in the little 4" plastic pots. That should work to get them started.

I'm stuck with the large ones for this year. If they don't go well then next year I will try smaller watermelons. Some people have the green thumb to make them grow and some don't.
I will look up the pots and see what I think. I was thinking about the ones I see in Greenhouses or plant stores where its six plants in a individual little pot an then when ready to plant them in the garden just put them out gently. They work pretty well with cantelope and zuccini which also can grow pretty big.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back