Come and Grow A Rose With Me

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Got a ?

I have a climbing blaze and a yellow one. I planted them 2 years ago and they are doing fine. I give them rose food about 3 times spring and summer. BUT every year I am constantly spraying them because of those itty bitty bugs that get on them. Is there anyway of preventing them?:confused:

I have two roses that I don't remember seeing bloom. I know they didn't bloom last year. I hope you all can help me identify them once they bloom. Both have buds on them.

My roses

My Tiffany has 3 huge blooms on it, my peach rose is so healthy, and the new Blaze of glory is blooming. I hope to get them planted this week. The pictures are not very clear because of the bright sunlight.

Attachments

• tn_Spring blooms 002.JPG
    tn_Spring blooms 002.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 335
  • tn_Spring blooms 001.JPG
    tn_Spring blooms 001.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 362
Here's a better pic of my Blaze of Glorty and one of my peach rose.

Attachments

• tn_amaryllis #2 013.JPG
    tn_amaryllis #2 013.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 357
  • tn_Spring blooms 003.JPG
    tn_Spring blooms 003.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 367
I got five of my new roses planted on the east side of my house the are 1. Joseph coat 2. Blaze of Glory (I think) 3. Double Delight 4. Red Knockout 5. Double Delight and

Attachments

• tn_East side of house 004.JPG
    tn_East side of house 004.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 351
  • tn_East side of house 002.JPG
    tn_East side of house 002.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 373
  • tn_East side of house 010.JPG
    tn_East side of house 010.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 355
Thank you Theresa. It was a little bit of work. I had to add some topsoil and compost to thagt area to build it up because of the clay. My lasagna garden will be to the left of the roses. I plan to lay some lanscape fabric and add some pebbles so I won't have to move the rest of the grass in front of the roses.

Dor,thanks for sharing!:D
Very Nice selection of color order.
DD is a little shorty but blooms well! Single or double red KO? KO will not quit until chill comes then they just STOP blooming (here in MI) PM is something to watch out for if water hits foliage*LOLThen again In Texas that problem isnt even seen*lol
Have you grown JC before?

Oh pebbles where....???!!!
Be careful!
If grass gets in those pebbles you will nearly cry! I have pea pebbles and white limestone rock Different places) both strengthen my character!*LOL

Kale:)

Well, wouldn't we be a pair! My knees are good still (knock on wood) but I can only dig with one arm. Takes me a while but I do get the hole dug!

Hello Rose Ladies! Missed you All!
How are your blooms this year?

How has it been growing roses..Grown anyone new?

I bought a few new roses...it was fun, class and color designing...I think I have unknown climbers!*LOL
Yeah..I do....
Intrigue and Heirloom and Angelface... Are acting like I want to cut them down...
I will measure tomorrow,meanwhile Jcoat is a midget along with climb Tropicana from last years rose buy out *lol
Climb Orchid Masterpiece doesn't know what/who he is.*lol

Share your rose stories !

Kale:D

They ran up to 8feet tall I took a few pictures on the 14th but you can't really see with all the plant life around it, I have about 5 stems on each plant that are 6-8feet tall.Which look like they want to give a wild display of blooms..Not sure if it will happen being we have cold temps already.

When I find the pictures of the blooms I will share.:)

Rose newbie

Hi everyone! I am new to growing roses and I have pictures to share...

http://thislushgardenwithin.wordpress.com/wallflower/

Are mini roses commonly grown from where you are? I just started growing them about a month ago. Attempting to grow them in an apartment :p rather than a garden. So far they look fine, the earlier ones have re-bloomed and there are quite a lot of new growing tips.

I have heard that mini roses requires less sunlight than standard size roses. Any truth to that and is it possible for it to thrive in bright light with only few hours of sun a day? Thanks in advance for any advice :)

There is a large host of factors and things to consider.
The rose,(name and breeder) the actual origin of the rose (from what 2 roses did it hybrid from) the first few years (how it was indeed started) of the rose.
The soil of the rose,(peat,sand.humus/dirt etc.) the rose itself,(large/small leaf/booms) some are said to bare the lack of sunlight living in bright shade outside.I am not certain I believe it until I were to see that occur myself.
I grow minis and they do not do well in less sunlight (my mini(s) get shaded by July from my Sunflowers) I am not dedicated to them like I believe they need.Yes there are other Rosarians that have gorgeous Minis here in the USA .
Mine are until the sunflowers grow*LOL
Now a standard rose,not sure what that means.
Are you using chemical fertilizer? What kind of lighting and how far from the roses and how many hours per day and size of pot and potting soil (And where were they bred if you know)?

I am guessing you are doing fine so far if you have another bloom cycle.
Still interested in the lighting and such.
Nice Plants are they all yours!
Very nice healthy looking.
Where do you grow them?

There is a large host of factors and things to consider.
The rose,(name and breeder) the actual origin of the rose (from what 2 roses did it hybrid from) the first few years (how it was indeed started) of the rose.
The soil of the rose,(peat,sand.humus/dirt etc.) the rose itself,(large/small leaf/booms) some are said to bare the lack of sunlight living in bright shade outside.I am not certain I believe it until I were to see that occur myself.
I grow minis and they do not do well in less sunlight (my mini(s) get shaded by July from my Sunflowers) I am not dedicated to them like I believe they need.Yes there are other Rosarians that have gorgeous Minis here in the USA .
Mine are until the sunflowers grow*LOL
Now a standard rose,not sure what that means.
Are you using chemical fertilizer? What kind of lighting and how far from the roses and how many hours per day and size of pot and potting soil (And where were they bred if you know)?

I am guessing you are doing fine so far if you have another bloom cycle.
Still interested in the lighting and such.
Nice Plants are they all yours!
Very nice healthy looking.
Where do you grow them?

Hi Kale, thanks so much for your reply and for sharing :) I believe mine are planted in sand and coco peat. Rather common for plants that come from Malaysia, our neighbouring country. They are currently semi outdoors, as they sit at the edge of the balcony area, partially exposed to the elements. I have only about a few hours of direct sunlight, the rest of the day with very good bright light as my apartment is not blocked by surrounding buildings. No idea what hybrid they are though :eek: picked most of them up from the supermarket. As for fertilising, I've held back fertilising till I noticed growing tips emerging... then I apply Be-1 (Amino Acids Pellet from Japan), they are organic. Am also planning to try some worm casting next and chicken poo. They are mostly in 4inch pots, but will not be re-potting them yet, as I've read that it is important to encourage micro-organism to flourish at the root ball. I think the nurseries uses mainly chemical fertiliser. Hope it makes sense :p do give your views ok!

And yes, the pictures in the link are my plants. Thanks for your kind comment :) I grow them in a high-rise apartment. Other then the african violets, most are grown on the balcony where they get bright light and good wind movement.

Will update my progress with the roses as I go along as well :)

You are welcomed:D
You are doing fine!
My only suggestion that I can knowingly suggest is if you can move the lighting a tad bit closer to the roses it can prevent the leggie stems.
They look a little longer then natural (of what I know and have seen)
That occurs when their lighting is too far and they "reach " for it .
I would monitor the plants; you sure don't want to burn the leaves or blooms.Note (if you don't already:) ) The soil may dry out a bit faster,(when lighting is closer) so monitoring the watering may be something to keep track of. Are you an indoor seed sower?
What is your low temperatures and what month?
We have winter (pretends to be Fall) here. We already had freezing temps then the temps rose after it killed all vegetation.
Been waiting on snow...
I posted a few of my roses from 2008 On Kale's Korner (link left corner) I have about 30 more in 2009 many are doubles of those I love and was able to get locally. Some were labeled wrong and I haven't been able to find out who they are yet ,but...One looks like one of your minis!*LOL
I can post that one it is quiet interesting.. Was suppose to be my Hybrid Tea
"Fragrant Cloud"!

You are welcomed:D
You are doing fine!
My only suggestion that I can knowingly suggest is if you can move the lighting a tad bit closer to the roses it can prevent the leggie stems.
They look a little longer then natural (of what I know and have seen)
That occurs when their lighting is too far and they "reach " for it .
I would monitor the plants; you sure don't want to burn the leaves or blooms.Note (if you don't already:) ) The soil may dry out a bit faster,(when lighting is closer) so monitoring the watering may be something to keep track of. Are you an indoor seed sower?
What is your low temperatures and what month?
We have winter (pretends to be Fall) here. We already had freezing temps then the temps rose after it killed all vegetation.
Been waiting on snow...
I posted a few of my roses from 2008 On Kale's Korner (link left corner) I have about 30 more in 2009 many are doubles of those I love and was able to get locally. Some were labeled wrong and I haven't been able to find out who they are yet ,but...One looks like one of your minis!*LOL
I can post that one it is quiet interesting.. Was suppose to be my Hybrid Tea
"Fragrant Cloud"!

Thanks Kale for the reply, will upgrade my roses to another sunnier spot. But will have to be gradual. You are right, two pots of roses are showing some sort of leaf burn actually, but luckily they are not serious :) Along with pretty fast growth, they are also fast drinkers. The containers could be bone dry by the next nite on a hot day.

My temperature here can rise to about 34˚C mid-year. Coolest months will be towards end or beginning of the year (which is why I choose to start the collection now, else to start on hot months, they may never get the chance to acclimatise). The lowest temps would be around 25˚C in my area. I have never sown any seeds before though might try one day :) Can't seem to find the picture of the rose in question in Kale's Corner :p Sorry, can post it here or give me a direct link? Thanks! Sounds like the temps there can be pretty challenging too for the roses.

Well isn't that terrible.
Don't recall getting the notification, I didn't know you posted may have gotten lost within the others..
I am terribly sorry...I had everything ready and got side tracked..here a direct link.

http://gregnmary.gotdns.com:8080/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=653

I received several from Texas that were labeled wrong here are 3.One should have been my dear Fragrant Cloud,2 should have been Shreveport (which all 3 look the same act a bit differently)
Then there is Proud Land I had my heart set on. He ended up being what I am lead to believe is Lowell Thomas,that is fine, I had been looking for him too since 2002 when he suddenly was shot with chemical. Too bad I didn't know ahead of time.
Getting my change together and list for more roses.The ones I thought I had I'm still looking for.Hopefully I will find them this Spring!

Kale :)

These are lovely. I'd post, but am clueless as to how to make the thumbnails. Your photos make me want to take up roses again. April in Paris is so elegant.

Virginia

These are lovely. I'd post, but am clueless as to how to make the thumbnails. Your photos make me want to take up roses again. April in Paris is so elegant.

Virginia
Hi Virginia:D Do you have April Of Paris or are you talking about one of my roses being April In Paris? I do not have her.The sorta striped one I am thinking has Rosa Mundi (Rosa damascena vericolor ) Sport of Rosa gallica's colors but sorta behaves like a modern rose and may even be a little bit more like a mini Grandiflora*lol
It was their first year so I will see what this next season will prove them to be.
I was thinking maybe George Burns or Scentimental only that is a deeper red(Floribunda).

Who have you grown?
What kinds and colors do you enjoy the most as if you can actually pic a Breed and color*lol
Me, I love several breeds and many variation of colors to grow personally.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back