Come and Grow A Rose With Me

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Lyn, when and how did you root it?

Help! Hubby broke a piece of my favorite mini rose off. I would like to try to root it. It has hips and leaves on it. Do I cut those off first????
Why certainly!;):D
Get at least 6inches,if you can.
I'm not too experienced with Minis.

Oh,be sure to take the spent hip off .Actually how did it go to hips in California!!:eek::eek::confused::confused: What are your lows!?? what are you steady night time temps now?

You may be able to direct plant it with a cover in definite full shade. Or put it on a pot that fits a cover snug and full shade.
If you have root hormone that may assist in the rooting process but DO NOT TOUCH IT OR BREATHE IT IN *the root hormone that is*lol

Also as far as the root hormone ; put a tiny bit on a piece of paper then rub the stem on it after you have wet the stem.
Make a hole with a stick or pencil insert the stem; water ever so gently,cover and peek now and again..

NOTE** you will have to monitor the temps, I do not know anything about your temps and weather.

Kale:)

I bought 2 roses at Lowe's today for $5 each. A got a Joseph's Coast and a Blaze of Glory. They are in 1.65 gallon pots it said. They had lots more so I will be going back to this Lowe's to get a few more.

How many stems larger then a pencil?
Full of growth?
hummm interesting ,very interesting.........
How big is Joseph's Coat ?

I have 4 rose bushes. They were here when we moved here this past Nov. They were in bad shape. I pruned them in Jan. They are really growing. I don't know the name of roses but my cousin was here the other day and one of them is blooming. It is a beautiful pink with dark pink edges. He told me the name of it is "Angels Face". The others have some buds that haven't opened yet, so I don't even know the color.

I would like to get some roses to put in containers. What does everyone suggest?

How many stems larger then a pencil?
Full of growth?
hummm interesting ,very interesting.........
How big is Joseph's Coat ?

It is pretty large kale. I thought it was a 3 gallon size but looked on the pot and it says 1.65 gallon. They are both very green and healthy. The Blaze of Glory has 3 buds on it. I am going to pot them tomorrow or Satuday.

Last edited:
LB, leave some leaves on the top node and make a cutting about 6" long if you can with a node in the potting soil. I am not an expert by any mean, but I got my cuttings to root. I had three nodes on the cuttings with two of them above the soil and one below. Leaving a couple of leaves on the top gives it a jump-start.

Large pot... (about 50 lbs of soil per container) Not sure about any other size pots for roses.
Here is Angel Face.Floribunda which means lots of blooms then rest then blooms and fragrant!And absolute sweetheart of a rose! I have many, they take to cuttings well.Bloom the next season.

Dor,Be very careful. You "may" want to prune those blooms and bring them in. The rose bush need to get use to your soil and location ,dont want to use energy for blooms even though that is the reason you bought it *lol
What are your low temps now ?

Id plant early morning or on a gloomy day.Not sure how your sun is there this time of year but here we have many GLOOMY days.
Make the hole at least 2xs the size of the pots.
I am wondering if what their roots look like. Do you see hair- like roots?

Here's JC!

Attachments

• ANGfc rose.jpg
    ANGfc rose.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 318
  • JCOAT n08.jpg
    JCOAT n08.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 333
Kale they were here when we moved in but they had been cut down to the ground and then mowed over so you would think they would have died. They are not dead and I am letting them come back to life. Hopefully they will get big enough to bloom. If they were grafted roses then they have gone back to the root stock. I will see one of these days. but they are looking very good to me this spring.

I took cutting's from some rose's my daughter got on Valentine's day.Look's like 3 maybe taking root some new growth tiny leave's.I didn't trim my antigue rose back this Spring it is huge.It is full of buds.

Attachments

• Mom's flowers 008.JPG
    Mom's flowers 008.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 286
  • Mom's flowers 009.JPG
    Mom's flowers 009.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 311
Large pot... (about 50 lbs of soil per container) Not sure about any other size pots for roses.
Here is Angel Face.Floribunda which means lots of blooms then rest then blooms and fragrant!And absolute sweetheart of a rose! I have many, they take to cuttings well.Bloom the next season.

Dor,Be very careful. You "may" want to prune those blooms and bring them in. The rose bush need to get use to your soil and location ,dont want to use energy for blooms even though that is the reason you bought it *lol

Id plant early morning or on a gloomy day.Not sure how your sun is there this time of year but here we have many GLOOMY days.

Here's JC!

Our lows right now are in the mid 50's Kale and the highs are in the mid 70's to low 80's. I will look later to see if I see any roots but I don't think any were sticking out of the pots. It is sunny right now and I have them in the sun so I will move them to the shade. I didn't buy the Blaze of Glory for the buds but because I liked the picture of it. Too bad I didn't see a Double Delight but I plan to check back on Monday to see if they have any others there I can get.

Here's JC!

Kale, that is my rose exactly. It does smell wonderful!

mini

Lyn, when and how did you root it?

Why certainly!;):D
Get at least 6inches,if you can.
I'm not too experienced with Minis.

Oh,be sure to take the spent hip off .Actually how did it go to hips in California!!:eek::eek::confused::confused: What are your lows!?? what are you steady night time temps now?

You may be able to direct plant it with a cover in definite full shade. Or put it on a pot that fits a cover snug and full shade.
If you have root hormone that may assist in the rooting process but DO NOT TOUCH IT OR BREATHE IT IN *the root hormone that is*lol

Also as far as the root hormone ; put a tiny bit on a piece of paper then rub the stem on it after you have wet the stem.
Make a hole with a stick or pencil insert the stem; water ever so gently,cover and peek now and again..

NOTE** you will have to monitor the temps, I do not know anything about your temps and weather.

Our lows (until recently) were in the 20s.
Thanks for the info...I'm going to give it a try.

If I had to recommend an easy rose, it would be the Lovely Fairy Shrub Rose. She grows about three feet high and three feet wide. I do nothing to her...don't even water her....and she is in constant bloom from late spring to heavy frost. I love how the branches are just drenched with all those little mini roses. She does have a frangrance but its not real strong.
LovelyFairyShrubRose4-1.jpg
LovelyFairyShrubRose6-1.jpg

To bad we don't have 'Smell - a - Visison' installed on our computer monitors!Those not only look impressive,but I can almost imagine the frangrance it gives off! * thanks for sharing with us all *

Last edited:
PRH, she does smell wonderful!! I am so excited to enjoy her again this year. Nothing smells as good as my McCartney rose though....one whiff of her makes you moan...lol!! Wish I could bottle that smell....would be a rich lady. Last year I cut a bouquet and took into work. Nobody got any work done because they were too busy lurking around my office inhaling....that one is intoxicating....should be illegal...lol!!

I got some bareroot roses fairly cheap. I am gonna try them in my new rose garden location and see how they do. Hopefully, they will be better protected from the fierce wind we get here. Alot of times the packaged bareroots are mislabeled so not going to get too excited about what I got...but hoping....I think I got...Gene Boerner, First Prize, Just Joey, Broadway, Double Delight, John F Kennedy, and Pink Peace. I love Kale's Double Delight. I had a Pink Peace before that was killed by the high winds and ice a couple years ago. I adored her so hopefully those two are labeled correctly anyway. The Gene Boerner is a lovely looking Grandiflora. Broadway is a bicolor similar to Double Delight. First Prize is another lovely pink. JFK is a stunning white....and Just Joey is a pretty orangish yellow.....have had yellow in the past and the japanese beetles wouldn't leave them alone so hoping I will have better luck with this darker yellow. Wish me luck!!

JFK, was at first yellow then faded into a whitish. He and jap beetles got along fine,they covered him, Never say anything like it..and they went on to mess with Queen Elizabeth.I can say I lost sleep and used my long nose pliers everyday until they were no more.JFK was not real fragrant but..sweet.He may not have gotten the sun he requires.
I plan to move him this year.I didn't recall him able to grow so tall and blooms were 3times in it's first season, for the whole season. I put him under my Private sorta...It grew over 3feet above the lowest branches of the privet.

Here is (one of my) Pink Peace, JFK and DOUBLE DELIGHT!

Attachments

• JFK.jpg
    JFK.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 300
  • Pink Peace 08.Frontjpg.jpg
    Pink Peace 08.Frontjpg.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 323
  • DOUBLE DELIGHT61608.jpg
    DOUBLE DELIGHT61608.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 298
Here's my first rose this Spring.

Attachments

• MOMS FLOWERS 002.JPG
    MOMS FLOWERS 002.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 287
  • MOMS FLOWERS 003.JPG
    MOMS FLOWERS 003.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 312
Kale didn't root it. They were in the yard trying to grow when we moved in. but someone had mowed them off at ground level. The one in front is red cause it had one bloom last fall. the one in back has never bloomed but I put a tomato cage around it so hubby won't mow it off again. Now it has grown big enough I don't think he will mow it. It hasn't bloomed yet. All the other roses have buds setting on them. Even the blaze I planted this year and the double delight. I hope my double delight is as pretty as yours is. That is why I planted it. I just had to have it.

I pruned my Tiffany a month or so ago and now it has large blooms on it. I have to take a picture. All my roses are looking good right now.

Spider Lily!
Nice 2009 Season Blooms!;)

Kale didn't root it. They were in the yard trying to grow when we moved in. but someone had mowed them off at ground level. The one in front is red cause it had one bloom last fall. the one in back has never bloomed but I put a tomato cage around it so hubby won't mow it off again. Now it has grown big enough I don't think he will mow it. It hasn't bloomed yet. All the other roses have buds setting on them. Even the blaze I planted this year and the double delight. I hope my double delight is as pretty as yours is. That is why I planted it. I just had to have it.

I am sure it will BE!!! :D:D:D:D

I pulled my Climbing Blaze I think I know where I put him *LOL
I didn't understand that the climbers are ssssssloooooooowwwwwww to bloom. again,I thought it was the neighbors trees shading that caused it not to bloom:( I am watching who I think is him*LOL I pulled Toro too :(
Tropicana climber and Orchid Climber were growing like mad.one Clim orchard Masterpeice did nothing but grow not one bloom was going to call it a dud .I shall see in several weeks! And of what I see the one CLIM ORCHID MasterPeice that did bloom ,bloomed nothing like the pics I saw!*LOL
I am confused...He looked like Noble Antony!

Dor! pics we need pics*LOL;)

I have a 2beds ready for up to 5 new roses.
I have one new one already!
And several cuttings, if any keep I can plant them there!
I should get blooms by Early June!
I have to put my many hours in the English Rose Garden soon over 85 roses need the centers cleared and ground cultivated! That will be a job,I plan to come home with thorns stuck in my fingers and cuts and scratches everywhere holes in sweater and pants ETC!! *LOL
What a life huh?!
Isn't it great!

Kale:eek:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back