Crabber's project folder

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if this is of interest to anyone , but I thought I would post our renovation process.
we are finally.... getting our dock and fixing our driveway so we won't have to drive through water all the time. We are finishing our fence too.
sadly :(it causes us to need to remove 22 trees:eek: and do some severe underbrushing for the fence people. I took some before pics and will continue to to take progress pics as we go.
In the "My banana project" I posted the first pics of the move of the banna tree.

Enjoy watching us work hard!:D

we can drive all around our house and come in from the back. The first pic is to the side of the drive where I alwyas park. The trees behind my truck will be gone :(So the last pic is the view from the back. Our drive is very long and can't get a good view in one shot so there a 3 of the drive from the street. The one that is "drive 4" is the view from the front of the court yard. All the trees and brush you see will be gone :( I have always prided myself on a low impact , small foot print. This is killing me but Tim insist we do it.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Drive 1 (800x532).jpg
    Drive 1 (800x532).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 389
  • drive2 (800x532).jpg
    drive2 (800x532).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 377
  • drive3 (800x532).jpg
    drive3 (800x532).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 386
  • drive4 (800x532).jpg
    drive4 (800x532).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 369
  • back drive1 (532x800).jpg
    back drive1 (532x800).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
I will take some pictures today of what we did yesterday and post them later.

back to work for me....have a great day!

Looks like it will be a LOT of work!
So, you re going to raise the grade of the driveway? How high will you need to fill in with gravel so it'll be high enough to remain flood free?
Is the fencing for privacy/security?

Will be looking forward to the in progress pictures. I remember driving in from the road to get to your house, but didn't think it was that far but I guess it was...
Don't work too hard. You don't need to get it done overnight....

Lynn,
Boy this old stuff stinks. I didn't realize how hard I was working until I got up this morning .

Ron
Tim says 18- 24 inches to get us out of the water. That's a lot of dirt/rocks. We are going to cement part of it. Tree guy will be here next week. I have tons of plants to move. Moved over 100 bromilaids ,50 Shampoo gingers, a banana tree, and 2 Holly bushes. Still have about 6 small sagos.
We have had 6' no climb black ornamental on the front, but can't afford it down the sides and across the back. We are going with vinyl coated black chain link. I hope it disappears into the woods line. ;-)

Laurie
It looks longer than it is. It is about 300 feet from the road to the house.

That is a lot of digging and moving Nancie!
Hope you have help!

Good choice using the black vinyl, it will blend in and wont be as noticeable!

Pictures please!!!

Crabber I am sure you will make an improvement in your place. Remember you don't have to do everything in one day. Pace yourself girl.

Huge undertaking Nancie, it'll be great to see your progress over time. I'm with you about leaving a small footprint but if it stops your flooding problem, then it must be done. Think of all the fun you'll have deciding where to replant everything. Are the tree guys going to take it all away or will they mulch it for you? Love the pics too!

I'm back. The boys worked taking down some of the small trees this past week. Got a few more plants moved. Tree guy should be here today to start taking down the BIG trees. I'M NOT READY, still more plants to move, and as soon as I can see outside I need to get on it. I can't believe it is still dark out at 6:45 am. Sign of the season I guess. This should be the biggest impact to the project visually. I still really don't want my trees to go but as John said, if it solves our flooding issue I guess it is necessary. I bought a new truck a few weeks ago and really don't like the idea of driving through standing water. We are coming into our nor'easter season and it will be high water until about April, then hurricane season in June through Nov so it is never ending.

I should be posting pics either tomorrow or the next day.

anyone want giant aloe, Mexican Daisy's, Mexican petunias, bromilaids, or edible or shampoo gingers? Now is the time to get them from me. They are all out of the ground ;) just let me know if you want any. Oh and spider plants too.

Huge Treee

The guy came to begin taking down trees. I wasn't so bad with the 40 ft gum tree, but I wanted to cry when he took down the largest pine. It was a majestic 95 ft tree. I am so in awe of "Sammy" the guy doing the tree work, that even though I have regrets about the honored 75 year old tree coming down , I had to take some pictures. I know most people have seen trees come down before but this guy is awesome! I could not get the entire tree in one picture so I took a couple ref. pics for size.
Enjoy the pictures

Attachments

• sammy1 (532x800).jpg
    sammy1 (532x800).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 321
  • sammy's high (532x800).jpg
    sammy's high (532x800).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 341
  • sammy3 (532x800).jpg
    sammy3 (532x800).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 350
  • size ref (532x800).jpg
    size ref (532x800).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 349
  • size2 (532x800).jpg
    size2 (532x800).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 336
I got a frame by frame set of the last limb coming down. You can actually see the falling bark in the last frame where the limb is clearing the bottom of the frame. That tree was sawying so much I thought it was going to throw him out. Almost like it was fighting for it's life. :(

Attachments

• last limb (532x800).jpg
    last limb (532x800).jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 323
  • lastlimb2 (532x800).jpg
    lastlimb2 (532x800).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 362
  • lastlimb3 (532x800).jpg
    lastlimb3 (532x800).jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 337
  • lastlimb4 (532x800).jpg
    lastlimb4 (532x800).jpg
    188 KB · Views: 340
  • lastlimb5 (532x800).jpg
    lastlimb5 (532x800).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 352
I watched out trees come down a few times and was always very sad. We replanted our front tree with a live oak. It is starting to get a little growth since it started cooling down. I will be glad when we get shade back. We had a front yard full of shade and now only when you are standing beside the new tree. my hubby can't be a shade tree mechanic any more.lol

Cool photos Nancie!
It is always heart wrenching when a tree has to be cut down!
Just think how much more light you will be getting!!!!

Watch out for those snakes girl with all the movement going on in your yard. I would be hanging from the ceilings inside the house.....lol
It's sad watching trees comes down but it will help dry up your yard and you will have more sunlight not that you want that in the hot summers you have..

3 days of work, one guy.
I post the before and after together so you can see the changes. I am really having a tough time with this. I have spent the entire last many year of my life preserving land and resources so this is not something I embrace. I loved my shaded areas and little gardens tucked here and there. I couldn't dig all my "fish hook" bromeliads I got a couple but they rest are gone :( they dropped trees on them and then scooped them up with a skidsteer. So glad I was sitting somewhere else! Anyway here are the transition pictures before and now. I will post final before and afters when it is all done. there are still a lot of trees and dirt work to be done so I am looking for "tropical" suggestions for planting. I am thinking lots of fruits and palms. Something that won't crack the driveway or endanger the septic.

You could not see the house from the street before.

Attachments

• Drive 1 (800x532).jpg
    Drive 1 (800x532).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 349
  • 1drive (800x532).jpg
    1drive (800x532).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 338
  • drive2 (800x532).jpg
    drive2 (800x532).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 343
  • 2drive (800x532).jpg
    2drive (800x532).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 349
  • 2Bdrive (800x532).jpg
    2Bdrive (800x532).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 336
Major Changes, I think that's what I will start calling Tim. LOL!!!!!

The first pic should have been up with the other group but it wouldn't fit. It is a before shot from the road.

They haven't gotten to the back yet. I may need tranquilizers for that.

Attachments

• drive3 (800x532).jpg
    drive3 (800x532).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 348
  • drive4 (800x532).jpg
    drive4 (800x532).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 370
  • 4drive (800x532).jpg
    4drive (800x532).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
All I know is that is tons of work there girl. Don't over do it as we are not 20 anymore. I have children to teach today. and I'm planning lessons for next week with number patterns. hmmmm. Still thinking about that one.

We actually got to see your house!!! Very nice!
Love the spanish moss hanging from the trees!

How about gauvas and pomagranites and dwarf crape myrtles?
You can now do a raised bed for cacti and other succulents with all that new sunlight!!!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back