Crabber's project folder

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Lynn
I am feeling every single shovel load I have moved. UGH! not to mention a cube of bricks we had to move. And of course Tim can do any of that. I have been giving away plants because I don't have anywhere to put them until this is done. I guess that means I get to go shopping when this is over.

Ron
Most of my down the road neighbors have never seen our house either. That was by design years ago. I feel naked without my trees. Spanish moss is a Florida ( or southern thing) for sure. I love it. Can you believe some people actually pay to have it removed? :eek:

Pomagranites are actually tops on my list. Just down the road from us is a huge ag center that is a research test farm. They are currently growing several kinds of poms to see which will do best here. I plan a vist over there when it comes time to make the selection. I currently have 12 crepes 6 white and 6 fushia. If I could fine the blood red ones I would plant more. I actully was asking someone yesterday to see if they could get the true red ones for me. and ofcourse some new bananas too ;)

For a stand out specimen have a look at the Travellers Palm. One would be a stunning addition if you can grow it in your area!

Nancie
When you come visit me, I need another Aloe plant. I left it at the b------ house and won't go back to get it. I forgot it once my house was back together when I brought all my plants home from her house..

Ron
I will actually be going to the Ag center on the 17th. I will see if they know bout the Travelers Palm.

Laurie
I have a huge pile of them that I have had to move. Gosh , I should mail you some. They will do ok in a light freeze. Is it freexzing yet? I could drop them in the mail om Monday

UGH!!!!! I am having such issues with the loss of my trees. I wish I had stood my ground about not taking them all out. I look forward to planting new ones and a new landscaping project but my heart is broken. :(
It started raining yesterday and my driveway is in the worst condition it has even been in. I can't walk out there and I hate driving my truck down there. The old lime rock splashes up on my truck and it looks so bad.
tree guy is almost done so I guess next week I will have dirt truck running. Maybe another week and then the concrete guys will be here to pour the drive.

Nancie
It's not freezing here yet. We haven't even had a frost yet. But it's coming. I don't plant them outside, they stay in the house. Can't wait to see more pics of what has been done to your yard. Sunny this am here then more rain this afternoon for us. Tired of this rain as I can't get anything done outside..

Remember that there's a beginning and and end!
You just need to get through the middle!
It will look great when it's done, and you will enjoy for a long time to come!

Nancie
It's not freezing here yet. We haven't even had a frost yet. But it's coming. I don't plant them outside, they stay in the house. Can't wait to see more pics of what has been done to your yard. Sunny this am here then more rain this afternoon for us. Tired of this rain as I can't get anything done outside..

I will box some up and send out to you on Monday. They need new homes :D

Next set of pics will be when they pick up all the trash from the trees. It looks really bad right now. I feel naked without my trees :(

Remember that there's a beginning and and end!
You just need to get through the middle!
It will look great when it's done, and you will enjoy for a long time to come!

Thanks Ron, I need the encouragement. I am planning a cactus/rock garden somewhere in that front area, or on the side of the house. I will need your help when the time comes. I have been paying a lot of attention to native trees and shrubs to see how they grow and age. I really want to stay natural. I am looking at native palms right now , small decorative ones.

They are almost done with the trees. Stump grinding today :(
Then dirt sometime later this week. I will reserve paoting pictures until the dirt is in and just before the new landscaping goes in.

Next project my pond and the door to no where! LOL

We had planned to have a step out balcony over the pond but never got around to it. My fence guy is designing us a metal grate and hand rail for this door. I will begin extending the pond to the foundation of the house so that when you step out , you are over the pond. And yes, this area has been neglected while I was working, but we are all friends here so I know you can see past that ;)
The 2 pond pictures are just looking from different directions. One towards the house and one towards the courtyard wall. ;)

Attachments

• before pond2 (800x532).jpg
    before pond2 (800x532).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 284
  • before door (532x800).jpg
    before door (532x800).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 293
  • before pond1 (532x800).jpg
    before pond1 (532x800).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 280
Nice pond Nancie!
Can hardly wait to see how it will look after you get the unused door useable!

Thans Ron. It was never intended to be left like that for as long as it has, but......you know how things happen. I am looking forward to haveing it finished.
Stump grinding will be done today. So the dirt should start coming in soon too.

Ugh! So many delays. Dirt guy finally coming today ....I hope. D.E.P. ( Dept. of Environmental Protection) will be here today to tell us what we can and cannot fill. That is always a pleasure to deal with the Gestapo! They say No before they even get here. Just love government intervention.
Anyway, the dock guy will be here too to try to work with them on the wetlands line. They have take more than 1/2 our yard as state lands in the name of themselves. There are no wet lands plants, it is not always wet and our neighboring properties that are unoccupied and not building developed were allowed to fill and shed their water on us. There don't have buildings nor do they live here. Are you kidding me?! We didn't need to fill before they all filled around us. Oh well I am sorry for venting.

Back on topic:
Soon I will be landscaping I hope. Today I will start work on the pond renovations. That should be fun;)

Nov 2012

Some progress but not a lot. DEP gave us permission to add some fill for the driveway and back yard.( funny ...you just think it's your land)
The fence guys finished up the front and the sides last week.
The guys to lay the pavers and build the retaining wall will be here Dec 10. that will make major changes and then I can start my landscaping.
I am not sure what landscaping I want down the southern fence line. I have a couple shade beds with Hostas and such planned for the very front but I think down the majority of the side I want to go with purple fountain grasseshttp://landscaping.about.com/od/colorfulflowers/ig/black_flowers/purple_fountain_grass.htm and a spacing of small trees. 2 tress I am considering are this Dogwood treehttp://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/70594______dogwood.jpg which is Tim's choice or East Palatka Holly which is a narrow holly but they are beautiful this time of year and the berries attract birds. I thought about Crepe Myrtles but Tim didn't like that and they are a annual trimmer. Anyone have any ideas on small flowering or fruiting trees for that fence line?
Any ideas will be appreciated. Tim is not the landscape guy is no help, and Lysle who is really a landscaper is mulling it over but we have different ideas.

In picture 3 we are having pavers installed where my truck is and Tim wants to build an open pergola over the parking. The driveway will expand where you see the lime rock by the tree but there will only be an additional 6 feet there so I will have a strip of about 4 to 5 feet to landscape in front of that parking area and it is stumping me.I am thinking maybe just some clumping flowering grasses. I want something low maintenance. Any ideas for that?

Attachments

• Gate (800x532).jpg
    Gate (800x532).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 303
  • south fence line (532x800).jpg
    south fence line (532x800).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 288
  • front of house (800x532).jpg
    front of house (800x532).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 303
  • south fence looking west (532x800).jpg
    south fence looking west (532x800).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 305
  • back yard current (800x533).jpg
    back yard current (800x533).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Looking good Nancie!
You must be very please with the results so far!!!
Close-up photos please!!!!

Wow Young Nancie that all looks great....question re: the 4-5ft landscaping, does it get much sun at all? If it does, I had an area similar to that and I put in gazanias. They're a low growing perennial, have attractive foliage, lovely colour range of flowers and are as tough as old boots. They rarely need attention and are virtually maintenance free. The fence line, will it receive much sun? I also have a couple of sights bookmarked from FL as the climate is similar to mine and use plants that are new to me. The first one has some spectacular designs etc. and the 2nd is more practical. They may help you a bit too!:)

http://www.houzz.com/photos/landscape

http://miami-dade.ifas.ufl.edu/fyn-publications/index.shtml

Thanks for the links John. Having a bit of trouble this minute. In fact 3 times in the last 10 minutes, a black DOS window pps up and says files copied. I gotta get off .
talk soon

Had to get a new fire wall. SOmeone was copying files from my computer while I was on line :eek:

Anyway........
John the area 4-5 ' in front of the additional parking gets full sun . Super hot in summer. I am thinking grasses and cacti maybe a palm tree.
The fence line was totally shaded but with the trees we took out I am not sure what it will get in the summer. Right now it is partial shade. I decided I don't want to do the east Palatka Holly. They tend to look ratty after a few years. I want so flowering tree that keeps it's leaves all year. No bare stick trees for me. ;)
I will take a better look at your links today. I just got spooked yesterday with teh copying files happening.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back