My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

oh my god you would kill a cucumber!! and here I thought you were such a nice lady. I'm only joking. i have killed a million cucumbers in my life. better than doing it to hubby.

Maybe I can order seeds. That's a great idea Jade. Thanks. Would I plant it in a window box or the yard? The cats tend to dig up the yard. OH, could I plant it in the houseplants? What about like in a terrarium? What about a casserole dish? HEY<<< IF I GREW it in a PICKLE jar I could harvest it and THAT would be good luck! I am ordering seeds. Thanks Jade! ~ Curbmeister

Maybe I can order seeds. That's a great idea Jade. Thanks. Would I plant it in a window box or the yard? The cats tend to dig up the yard. OH, could I plant it in the houseplants? What about like in a terrarium? What about a casserole dish? HEY<<< IF I GREW it in a PICKLE jar I could harvest it and THAT would be good luck! I am ordering seeds. Thanks Jade! ~ Curbmeister

I would put it in the yard as it gets fairly tall girl and know that some caterpillars love it. I've had them eat plants down so quickly

Well, we have successfully solved MSG! Who knew (cause I didn't). I am ordering dill seeds and thanks for the advice, Lyn. Now I have to teach the cats to eat caterpillars! We have one who eats slugs ~ GET THE CATERPILLAR! Re-training process! :) Curbie

I don't know what the molecular structure is of monosodium glutamate is but I believe it is added to foods as both a tenderizer and flavor enhancer. I have never used any of it as far as I can remember. I know we have none in the house. It is used often in Chinese food, but you will also see menu items where it will state that no MSG is used.

My guess is it adds the flavor of salt. I've never used meat tenderizer. I just bang the bejeepers out of the piece of meat. (THOSE are cooking terms! LOL) MTM uses a lot of Asian spices when cooking. My favorite spice is......cinnamon. I put it & berries on my ice cream at the end of a day. MTM puts Hershey's syrup on his. I'm not a huge fan of salt. We eat a LOT of garlic pepper. Curbstone

I have seen MSG called for in our old cookbook, but it has fallen into disfavor through the years. I am not sure why, but I think I read about it a long time ago. Since I don't use it, it doesn't really matter. I'm not sure I have a favorite spice. I use cinnamon every day on my oatmeal.

My guess is it adds the flavor of salt. I've never used meat tenderizer. I just bang the bejeepers out of the piece of meat. (THOSE are cooking terms! LOL) MTM uses a lot of Asian spices when cooking. My favorite spice is......cinnamon. I put it & berries on my ice cream at the end of a day. MTM puts Hershey's syrup on his. I'm not a huge fan of salt. We eat a LOT of garlic pepper. Curbstone

Curbie it's a flavour enhancer, it's used a lot in chinese food. Randy's right about it falling out of favour as there were a few adverse reports about it. It was mainly regarding reactions to it by some people, causing migraine headaches, heart problems and some allergy symptoms. It therefore got a bad name, what made it worse is that when the chefs were asked why they added it to food, they couldn't come up with an answer. "We just do'' was the most popular reply lol. I use pawpaw (papaya) as a meat tenderiser it has a natural enzyme in it that works really well and as I have 2 trees in my yard it's a no cost item.:)

What's your Paw-paw, Rock? I don't think I'd recognize a papaya. YOU are LUCKY wombat!Those trees right in your yard! Do you smoosh them up for the tenderizer? :) Curbie

That's right Rock the tree you're talking about is a native to the US I understand......I've heard that before......internally it's looks a lot like a custard apple. In the south pacific region pawpaws or papaws are what you would call papayas. The spelling is also confusing too, lol which adds to the confusion.

Yes Curbie I squish them up and place it on top of the meat in the marinade. I only use the yellow variety as the red ones are too yummy to waste on meat! :)

Paw-paw is the only member of the custard-apple family that will grow this far north (tn 7) and we sometimes have spring frost complications. They are common along creeks in shady areas.
Papaya is so tropical that they must be imported from much further south. Tasty tho when we can get them. The papain extract comes in a bottle and you don't have to ruin fresh fruit.

WOW-EEE did I get lost in this conversation/explanation! I don't know what a custard apple is. Maybe I'll just listen to you folks! Curbster

I have seen MSG called for in our old cookbook, but it has fallen into disfavor through the years. I am not sure why, but I think I read about it a long time ago. Since I don't use it, it doesn't really matter. I'm not sure I have a favorite spice. I use cinnamon every day on my oatmeal.

MSG has been linked to migraine headaches in some people. However , even with all my migraines, it is not really a trigger for me. I know that most Asian restraunts use it as an enhancment to flavor. Is it reconed with salt in some cultures

Here are a few pics I took over the weekend. I should have taken them before I pulled all the rutabegas out. I took all the tops to the soup kitchen in town this morning. I just don't have the time to deal with them right now. It's a lot of work.
Picutre:
1. The bees doing their thing.
2. I had a large outdoor bird cage for the parrots and I decided to repurpose the cage panels to be my new tomato supports.
The rest are just pics of the garden. In #4 pic that is my celery in the bottom right corner
I will post my potato pic, I am excited I got about 75% of them to grow.
Ok your all caught up:D
I can't get all of the garden in one picture and you be able to see what's there :rolleyes:

Attachments

• bees (530x800).jpg
    bees (530x800).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 224
  • recycle bird cage.jpg
    recycle bird cage.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Feb 2012 garden 004 (800x532).jpg
    Feb 2012 garden 004 (800x532).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 241
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 228
  • g5 (800x530).jpg
    g5 (800x530).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 217

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back