My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I'd love to plant garlic b/c we use so much of it. So, Ron, you're mostly planting root crops? (except for the beans). You must have a HUGE property! PLANT ON! :) Curbie

Only a small area is set aside for the veggie garden!
It is not even a quarter the size of the one we used to have years ago! It's enought to feed the two of us with enough to can for the fall and winter.

I had to pull out the Italian beans, they died from the rain, the yellow wax and green beans are still producing, I did have to cull a few out though.

I spread 6 years of composted mulch this weekend and plant to get more this week. I am going to fully apply the "Back to Eden" method. I have always use mulches in the garden , however not to this extent. It sure looks nice. I look forward to planting in a few weeks. I really covered where I took out the beans and plan on putting squash back there. I will let you know how it works out.

The okra is in, and boy is it good!

Hey Curbs,
It is much the same process of making any expressed oil. What flowers do you have that you want to use? I know how to make oil burner oils and you could apply the same methods and then just dab the oil on as a perfume.

Not really a veggie but my seedling Hass avocado has finally had some fruit!:D only took 6 years! They're a little small but taste great...the possums think they're yummy too, unfortunately!:rolleyes:

Attachments

• avo.jpg
    avo.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 219
Geez, that IS wonderful! I thought you only had kangaroos & koala bears in Australia. Possums....think it was lost? :) Curbie

Very cool John!
When I lived down sout I had an avacodo tree in my back yard and we would go up to the 3rd flood deck and pick them. The tree was so huge that it covered the small back yard. No telling how old it was. Needless to say we had so many fruit we could not reach and they would end up on the ground. The bees and wasp loved them!

I picked tomatoes yesterday, before they were ready, if I don't the birds and squiorrles will get them...... my chocolate cherry tomatoes and my yellow plums are the first ripe. I held one plant over the winter and I thought it was a black Krim but it turned out to be a yellow brandy wine. It is beautiful. I can't post pictures because I am using a work computer, we still have no wireless. :(

Nancie that tree sounds really old, it must've been great fun picking them.....as mine was a seedling I'm just happy it had any fruit at all:) I've just put in some roma tomato seedlings as they're a little more cold tolerant than my others. I haven't grown those varieties you mentioned I may have to keep an eye open for them.
Curbie: Possums? How many would you like?:D They're really commonplace here, more so than any of the native animals. They even live in a hollow tree in my yard...here's a couple of pics of them making themselves at home...eating my papayas and one of their babies helping herself to party leftovers:rolleyes:

Attachments

• baby possum.jpg
    baby possum.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 234
  • possum pawpaw.jpg
    possum pawpaw.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 222
  • possum house.JPG
    possum house.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 226
Wow John, your possums looks so very different than ours.Yours are down right cute! http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/professional-trapper/images/wildlife-opossum.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/professional-trapper/wildlife/FL-Orlando-Wildlife.htm&h=130&w=160&sz=12&tbnid=5wCtArC_P5HELM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=114&prev=/search%3Fq%3DFlorida%2Bopossum%2Bpicture%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=Florida+opossum+picture&usg=__IS-3Wk4LKWl9fe2O1rMTvo5dV-8=&docid=PR2IzxeNL-2MsM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BBLWT56TIurp0gHQjM29Aw&ved=0CFEQ9QEwAw&dur=96

I know the base of the tree was about 20" around. I am guessing it had been there since the Henry Flagler days as the house was about that old too. Late 1800's is my guess. Wish I had a picture of that tree. It fed everybody in the house and then some.
( The house had been renovated to about 6 apartments.)

Ours are around 20lbs and are rather ugly looking with a naked rat-like tail that is prehensile! They started moving north in the early 80's with the onset of global warming and are a real nuisance, especially in the city!

Time to rake out all the weeds in the veggie garden and prep it for planting!
The tomatoes will be the first to go in!

Nancie, I sowed my butternut squash in pots and should be up and ready to plant out in the garden by early July.....opps ...still need to do the same with the zuccini ....this afternoon...got the seed packet out to remind myself!

Need to harvest some rhubarb too!

The rhubard went to bloom, is it still ok to pick,. I don't like it but would give it to friends if it's still ok to pick once it's bloomed. It's from my grammie's house and wanted a piece of it before it died out. I tried to till the garden this weekend but it's too wet, hoping it dries out this week.

I pulled rhubarb for the first time yesterday and made a crisp with it off food tv. Neither my wife nor I could finish a serving of it. Though and fiberous and the chunks never cooked down like i expected. Rhubarb gets one more chance in the kitchen then it goes and frees up garden space.

Those posums are nothing likewe have in North America. I don't think anyone in the US would not kill a posum because it looked even remotely cute. How mean are the aussie posums? The ones around here will put up a major fight but that may just be because of the proximity to Chicago and gangland.

Wow John, your possums looks so very different than ours.Yours are down right cute! http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/professional-trapper/images/wildlife-opossum.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/professional-trapper/wildlife/FL-Orlando-Wildlife.htm&h=130&w=160&sz=12&tbnid=5wCtArC_P5HELM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=114&prev=/search%3Fq%3DFlorida%2Bopossum%2Bpicture%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=Florida+opossum+picture&usg=__IS-3Wk4LKWl9fe2O1rMTvo5dV-8=&docid=PR2IzxeNL-2MsM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BBLWT56TIurp0gHQjM29Aw&ved=0CFEQ9QEwAw&dur=96

I know the base of the tree was about 20" around. I am guessing it had been there since the Henry Flagler days as the house was about that old too. Late 1800's is my guess. Wish I had a picture of that tree. It fed everybody in the house and then some.
( The house had been renovated to about 6 apartments.)

Well I suppose they are cute but not when they tend to eat all the fruit from your trees if you give them half a chance :mad: We also have ringtail possums but they're a bit shy, the brushtails are just the opposite, as the pics above show! lol Yours look like aggressive little buggers:D This is a pic of Mrs Ringtail with a couple of kids.

I would've loved to have a tree like that to climb on when I was a kid, we only had huge mango trees as most of the avocados were "off limits" to us kids:D

Attachments

• common_ringtail_possum.jpg
    common_ringtail_possum.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 216

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back