My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Sorry Curbie! I do not do peas in the garden, they take up too much space for what you get in pods!!! I'd rather use the space for tomatoes, beans, squash and cucs and zucs! ...and parsnips, garlic and onions! ....and one 'getting larger' clump of rhubarb.....oh yes and a clump of sage....don't have to worry about the thyme and oregano since it is growing as a lawn substitute on the east side of the property <-it looks nice and smells nice whenever I mow the area!!!! ...and it is drought tolerant!
Now beans are a better crop with more on the return!
If the garden was larger I would probably put in a row of sugar peas so I can use pod and all!

Great idea going vertical Ron, I use the tepee-type method, made from garden stakes for my climbing beans both purple and snake. I always plant peas as they're a winter crop here and therefore I have a bit more room. We ate bunnies when I was a kid but since getting married, my much better half has the same opinion as Ron, hence no more bunny stew or pies:rolleyes:

John
If someone served bunny stew and didn't tell me then I would have been alright (maybe) with trying it! I just don't want to see the prep work!

No bunnies here.

I did get to replant some things this weekend ( Sunday). I pulled out most of the beans with the exception of the shell beans. They are just about done but still have pods so I left them.

I planted, Pink Banana squash ( some of you remember "Pinky" from GG that took over AQ's greenhouse) I love those and more butternut since the borers got the others, also some Delicata and spaghetti.
Also added great northern beans and ying/yang beans.

cilantro took a hard hit with the rain so I replanted that. I need to get some parsley seeds.

Tomatoes are producing great fruits but they sure look funny with no leaves. I do have some that are suffering from all the water, but thta is drying up so they should be ok.

Got the dwarf scarlet runners (Hestia) planted by the fence as well as the cucs.
Planted 8 'Cherokee Purple' and 8 'Branywine Red' yesterday!
That leaves the yellow and green string beans, carrots and 'Sweet Pickle' peppers.

I'll be growing Park's 'Container Choice' tomatoes in large pots since they are short and determinate!

...The butternut squash seeds have germinated in their pots, and the zucs are just popping out of the soil in their pots. I'll move them to larger pots as they grow and then get them in the ground by early July! Hoping this method works and thwarts the squash bugs...if they try to attack I'll be able to exterminate them before they can do too much damage!

You are so silly, Ron. I can't even squish a fly. MTM always asks me to squish a cat....that's not going to happen! Curbie

I have no problem squishing bad bugs!
Earwigs are another pest I have no problem killing!
We are having a population explosion because of the mild winter which normoally kills off 90% of the population! They are very destructive to crops and even invade the house......

Not too many bugs around here in winter thank goodness, they must all like the warmer weather! It's nice to be able to grow veggies (albeit slowly) and not have them attacked by anything and everything that crawls and flies!

I hope the squashes I just planted will miss the vine borers and squash bugs. It has been a strange year with all the crazy drought and then all the rain.

John,
Our fall winter gardening is always the best too. We have a lot less pest issues from about Oct - March.

Ron,
You are well on your way.

I've got a ?
Should I wait until after the heat wave we're suppose to have Wed-Fri in the 90's to plant my veggie garden? I had thought about doing it later today but then I thought maybe I should wait

Laurie, I'd wait b/c you just may also get some beneficial rain. What type of soil are you digging into b/c ours is simply clay. I know why bricks are made out of clay! We are to get to 100° by Friday. Do you have a way to keep the plants in the house? Good luck ♣ Curbie

Yeah I can put them in my mudroom for the hot days then plant them this weekend, they are sitting on the front porch right now. I dont have clay soil. My yard used to be a cow pasture for many many yrs so the soil isn't too bad. Too many pines tho....

I didn't know this for many years. (Well, it's not hte only thing.) Pine trees are very acidic. The needles even contribute to the soil. We have many pines here but we also have GREAT cherry trees so I think they kind of balance each other out. Wish I had a cow pasture-ish yard. Porch is a good idea, Laurie. Curbster

Last edited:
We have a lot less pest issues from about Oct - March.

You lucky guys!
I can honestly say that we have no pest problems from October to March!;)

As I was standing watering the veggie garden I had one of those moments....I have 6 yellow current bushes (Buffaloo Berries) in pots and need a place to plant them, so I decided in a flash of insight that I will be making the veggie garden bigger....soon...which means doubling the size so I can plant the bushes on the south side as a windbreak! Brilliant!
The next thing is, am I up to it? All I have to do is to sink the spade into the sod....then it begins!
It will be around 8ft by 20ft which will solve my horizontal planting issues!

I must be crazy!

Ron, I read from two different magazines on my visits to the nursing homes and one of the stories a few months back was about this grandfather that told the grandkids that if they missed any of the squash bugs and he found them that he was going to make them bite the heads off. Do you bite the heads off? LOL

Randy
Not in this life!
I use the thumb and index to squish them if I find any of them.
We do not tend to get squash bugs, but squash borers! By the time you see any damage it is usualy too late to do anything!
Squash bugs do not like our winters and die off and rarely a problem.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back