My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Hey Crabber, thanks for that info! I'll get some! :)
Hey Wombat, I'll def wanna see pics! :)

Okay, I'm gonna show off again, lol! :D I took some pics of my 46 Beefsteak tomato plants (1 foot 8 inches tall) and my 23 Red Pimento, Tangerine Pimento, and California Wonder green bell peppers... after I weeded them... :eek:
I planted 102 new peppers tonight in that new garden I dug. (From bottom row in pic to top row in pic) It has 38 Sweet Banana, 13 Cubanelle hot, 14 Jalapeno Early, 14 Ring o Fire Cayenne, and 14 New Mexico hot peppers in it!
I'll be adding cages and garden cloth to the tomatoes to help hold them up and keep them from burning.

This is the Beefsteak tomatoes.
5830042783_6b920545ee_z.jpg

Beefsteak tomatoes by Trax, on Flickr

5830043661_ba7da3837c_z.jpg

Beefsteak tomatoes by Trax, on Flickr

This is the sweet pepper garden with closeups of the Tangerine Pimento peppers.
5830044455_493ed648f7_z.jpg

Tangerine Pimento peppers by Trax, on Flickr

5830045679_291c694b0a_z.jpg

Tangerine Pimento peppers by Trax, on Flickr

This is my new hot pepper garden but the bottom row in the pic is sweet Banana peppers.
The closeup pic is the Ring o Fire Cayenne peppers!
5831324012_f63b35d822_z.jpg

New pepper garden by Trax, on Flickr

5831324522_549916a8c5_z.jpg

Ring o Fire Cayenne peppers by Trax, on Flickr

And this is a Lime tree we grew from a seed. We'll be putting it in a bigger pot tomorrow.
5830040469_0fbf713e58_z.jpg

Lime tree by Trax, on Flickr

Gorgeous veggies.
Trax do you sell your plants or produce???
I could never use so many veggies but I would like to give it a try sometime.

Hey Josh,
I hope your hot peppers are not too close to your sweet peppers. They can cross and all become hot. Had it happen once. I now plant the hots about 300 feet from the sweets. They have totally seperate gardens with a building in between!
Tomatoes look good!

Wow! :) Thanks guyz!

I prolly could sell or trade them but my great aunt gets a lot of the veggies and cans them. She also makes a relish called picalily. It's really good! :D

Thanks for that info, Crabbergirl! :) This is the first time I ever planted sweet and hot peppers in the same garden. I'll prolly move half of the banana peppers to the sweet pepper garden and leave the others just to see what kind of peppers they make! :D

A few of the peppers in the new garden look a little wilted but most of them are doing great! Sweet, since it's 101*F outside right now.

There are recipe(s) for picalilly in the Ball Blue Book of Canning if you ever become interested in doing some of that yourself. Now the smart thing to do though would be to aske your aunt if you could help her sometime and observe. That would not only please her greatly, but you would learn another valuable skill.

Hey Randy, I def intend to watch her make it this summer. Cause I wanna know how that's done. :)

Well, my gardens look a lot worse now. We had severe T-storms with 70+ mph straight winds, heavy rain and hail blowing sideways. I couldn't even see across the street and those winds didn't stop for almost half an hour. The ground was totally covered with hail and a lot of huge trees fell.
Anyway, I got some great photos and I checked the gardens with a flashlight after the storms. It looks like everything survived enough to keep growing! :) Even more than half of my new hot peppers were still standing up!
I thought it was a tornado but it was just wind. I couldn't believe it. We never get storms like that in June and it's just really weird. I'll add some photos to my post when I get them uploaded. We didn't have the power back on till now so I couldn't get online since 7:40 tonight.

Okay, here's what's left. It's actually a lot cause almost all of it can re-grow. :)
It was pretty dark so I had to use flash and LED lights to brighten the shots.

The Beefsteak tomatoes.
5834775707_7658d2e3fd_z.jpg

June 14, 2011 Storm by Trax, on Flickr

The sweet peppers.
5835328674_b0bd50dcaf_z.jpg

The pic of the new pepper garden was too dark to post but more than half of them survived! :)

One of the banana trees.
5834775341_fb129784ba_z.jpg

The 2 banana pups.
5835327598_4d108380be_z.jpg

The tree that crashed down. I'll be helping chop this up tomorrow. There were 2 other trees I saw fall and prolly lots more I didn't see.
5835329030_e18625fb41_z.jpg

Before the hail started melting.
5834777331_0ca601f906_z.jpg

Some pics of the storm.
5835329708_133801fc8a_z.jpg

5834777035_62aae36288_z.jpg

5834776887_75af206372_z.jpg

5835329268_b1b787f95c_z.jpg

5835329140_c4aac93fc1_z.jpg

Some wet animals looking for food.
5834774445_5b4a3ccc2f_z.jpg

5834774721_f50b28e5d5_z.jpg

5835326716_46ed4735a3_z.jpg

Oh Josh! I am so sorry . I know how that feels. The worst thing is with the high temp and lots of water, it has the potential to "boil" your plants right in the ground. I usually lose my tomatoes when we have standing water and heat. :(
Is that your skunk or is that a "volunteer"? :D

If your plants make it they will be be stronger. I once had some tomatoes survive a bad storm like that and had so many tomatoes that year on the plants that survived.
I've also lost everything good luck I will pray for your garden.

Thanks guys! :) I checked and fixed them up some. About 95% of all the plants are still standing up with leafs!! And the tomatoes were up high enough that the water drained away from them, yay! I'll still have a pretty epic garden this year. :)
Only 2 or 3 of the tomatoes got broke or don't have leafs.

I don't know where the skunks came from. I was too scared to move but I had my camera in my hand. The first photo I shot was an accident. It didn't scare the skunks so I took some more pics. There were 3 or 4 of them and they were walking around me. I didn't move till they left. :eek:
I'm glad I got the pics but I def hope that never happens again!

You did well, Mr. Trax. If they had noticed you, you would realize what being skunked really means.

Trax,
Glad you didn't suffer as much damage as it appeared you might.
We had very high winds last night but no rain. I went out at 6 this morning and began staking my egg plants and peppers.

Wow trax I've lost count how many times that has happened to me, it's a real bummer. As Lyn said it'll make the plants stronger, I know it has with mine. It'll be back to the way it was in no time. Crabber your garden looks great everything is so healthy looking, yum!

Wombat,
Thanks for the compliments. I feel like I am so far behind with the garden. Now I find out that my neighbor, who I dearly love, gave my plants she said were eggplants and the are actually datura. So I now have a row of datura in the veggie garden!
Come vist us if you ever get this way. I'll treat you to a garden dinner.( not Datura ! LOL!)

Crabbergirl's gardens look awesome and mine are starting to look great again! :D
And yeah, now I know what it's like to live in Australia.
I heard about the Australian hail storms from Impact and Crouton at another site. Those are incredible! That was the first real hail storm we've had here but I couldn't believe how little it actually hurt the gardens. Everything's starting to grow again! We prolly won't have many flowers though cause they got slammed really hard so it'll prolly take longer for them to grow back.

Anyway, I'm planting more stuff today and have some new veggie seeds I'll be trying! :D

Last edited:
What doesn't kill them, makes them stronger. If the flowers got knocked off , they may be quick at producing more , and be more prolific. I have a neighbor who pulls all the very first blooms off of all his plants. He swares by uit. All I can see is it takes longer to get going :rolleyes:

Wombat,
Thanks for the compliments. I feel like I am so far behind with the garden. Now I find out that my neighbor, who I dearly love, gave my plants she said were eggplants and the are actually datura. So I now have a row of datura in the veggie garden!
Come vist us if you ever get this way. I'll treat you to a garden dinner.( not Datura ! LOL!)

Wow that sounds yummy crabber, it's a date!;) If you do feed me datura I don't think I'll even know what planet I'm on:eek:

LOL @ Datura supper! :D
I decided to do an update on my veggie garden. It could be a long time before I know if the banana plant, elephant ears, and Purple heart (last photo) will survive. They got slammed the worst.
But everything else is doing really good! :)

The banana plant with pups is doing awesome! This is the mama plant making a big new leaf!
5846876045_c9592791a3_z.jpg

After The 2011 Hail Storm by Trax, on Flickr

These are the 2 banana pups and they have new leafs that are more than a foot long! They haven't opened up yet but they'll def be big!
5847433920_6e675b235e_z.jpg

The Horseradishes had a little damage but they're still standing up and doing really good!
5847435606_d5fbdb2644_z.jpg

3 of the Beefsteak tomatoes lost their tops but the other 43 don't even look very damaged now! None of the Cherry tomatoes lost anything!
5846879169_eeb1c2433a_z.jpg

The sweet peppers weren't hurt period! They all look great!
5847436736_30254f84ed_z.jpg

The hot pepper garden survived but less than half of the plants are still alive. But at least I still have some plants of each kind!
5846880097_b5935082ea_z.jpg

Here's some of the Ring o Fire Cayenne plants!
5847439838_de8796df29_z.jpg

The other banana pup, the Purple heart, and the elephant ears got slammed really bad. All I can do is wait and see if they survive. If they don't then I'll needa plant something else there. I might get some more elephant ears cause that's what I wanted most.
5846881881_cdeba97a24_z.jpg

That's the worst hail storm we've ever had. The heat is normal but we've been getting more rain than we usually get. So I don't think there will be any more serious probs now, yay! :D

They're all recovering nicely Trax......I know what a pain hail can be, but it's great watching them all recover with a little bit of tlc, they're more resilient than most people think.......found a pic of my veggie patch!

Attachments

• Veggie-garden.jpg
    Veggie-garden.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 317
  • permaculture-garden.jpg
    permaculture-garden.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back