Rooting Pineapple Tops

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Phil,
Forget the water!<--- the tops just rot!
Use a pot and sterile soil mix and pop it in a bright window!
Water only when the soil surface looks dry.....then call me!

I planted one a yr or so ago and it's still living.....I think I stuck mine in dirt to root it but don't remember.
Good luck PRH

We had a really cold winter here and I didn't bring my pineapple in and it died. I will need to start over. Soon cause we love to grill pineapple.

Cris bought a pineapple this afternoon and told me that she was going to plant the top so that the one I started recently would have a partner to keep it company! ( she has a way that leaves me scratching my head in wonders but nonetheless, 1 beautiful Fiancee ) :)

Last edited:
Well,I'm back at this for the last time!! I planted it yesterday and leaving it outdoors all summer and giving that a try! ( Ron,thanks for your info.last trip around - your still on call right??? ) :p

Nice thread! :) I bought a pineapple around the middle of July. It was called a Golden pineapple and the label said it's from Costa Rica. I twisted the top off and snapped off about 5 rows of lower leaves. Then I left it on the floor for 4 days. Then I put it in water for two more days but I didn't see any roots so I mixed some dirt and Miracle Gro potting mixture and put the top in the pot. I left it on the deck in the shade till now and it def made roots! :D I remembered to check and see if the top already had babies when I was drying it but I didn't see any. Now it has a baby on it that is about 5 inches tall! I read the whole thread and the part about growing it indoors in the winter. I will def keep mine inside this winter and try to get a pineapple! But I might needa put a screen around it next summer cause we have lots of hummingbirds here.
Btw, I'll post a photo when I get some time. :)

PRH,
Sweet! :) Def keep trying cause it's def worth it when one starts doing really good!

K. Here's the pic I promised of my Costa Rican pineapple pup! :D I took this pic yesterday and the pup is now even taller than the main plant! I'm gonna keep it by a sunny window this winter. Just wish I knew how to take the pup off the main plant without killing it.

5141002849_6acb519a8b.jpg

PRH,
Have you had any luck yet?

I wouldn't worry about removing the pup from the main plant. The main plant will more then likely die back so you can clip the old leaves as they brown.
The pup looks very healthy!

Last edited:
Very nice pup
Some day I should try to grow them.
I don't know how they will do here.

Thanx Ron! I'll leave it attached.
Kya D,
They should do all right in Utah! They can be grown indoors as a houseplant almost all year and make a fresh pineapple in just 2 years! Just dont let any hummingbirds get near them cause if they get pollinated, the fruit cant be eaten.
Here's how mine looked yesterday! It's growing faster now!

5188456565_17083cf36d.jpg

Oh, the pup's on the right side. Should i use a seat belt? LOL!

As of 1- 05-11,I took note that I have a little something showing signs of life. ( I will try to post a pic soon,I want to be sure I have something to capture ok ) :p * this was my last attempt to try this with a Pineapple Top ( go figure that 1 out - determination perhaps ) :p
Anyway,it looks to me that I have alittle success going on here and as I stated above,I will share a pic soon,but I want to be sure -- so hang in there )

Thanx Ron! I'll leave it attached.
Kya D,
They should do all right in Utah! They can be grown indoors as a houseplant almost all year and make a fresh pineapple in just 2 years! Just dont let any hummingbirds get near them cause if they get pollinated, the fruit cant be eaten.
Here's how mine looked yesterday! It's growing faster now!

5188456565_17083cf36d.jpg

Oh, the pup's on the right side. Should i use a seat belt? LOL!

Is that a referbed Indian to the right of the plant? Or is it just a tank. Hard to tell. Tell me do what is it?I just saw this.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back