The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Good Morning Peeps...
Sorry I only log in ever now and again....working alot trying to play catch up....lol
Peggy did you get a chance to look threw my Albums on their yet?

Yep Smiley I have ya the recipe...

Pineapple Meringue Pie

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 small can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, undrained
3 eggs, seperated
1 tb. butter or margarine
1/2 tsp of tartar
1/3 cup sugar
1 baked pie shell, 9"

In a 2-quart saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, flour, lemon zest and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and undrained pineapple. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat until thickened. Beat egg yolks lightly in a small bowl: blend about 1/2 of the hot mixture. Return egg yolk minture to the hot mixture in saucepan; cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Stir in butter. Pour filling into baked pie shell

Meringue
Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Slowly add 1/2 cup of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over the hot filling, spreading to crust. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes, or until browned to your desire.
Nat have a safe trip and have fun.
Rhonda hello...good to see you... I have often wondered how the kiddos were doing...
Spring is in the air and the sun has filled me with liquid gold...most wonderful feeling..
Good day,
Peggy

LOL i knew someone would catch that part...long story....got called that by an Ex and went with it just to peeve him off...LOL

Afternoon folks:) the weeks are just flying by here and there's so much to do! The rain has finally stopped falling and this weekend is fine and warm. I've still got a lot to do outside ( mainly jobs that were put off due to the high humidity of summer) My sweetpeas are climbing up my trellises and will hopefully be flowering soon, harvested the last pumpkin and sweet potatoes for the season and planted some more spuds. My strawberry and tomato plants have doubled in size, due to the amount of rain we've had, so I may get a crop from them if this balmy autumn weather persists.
Laurie great to hear that your yard is getting greener and you also have some colour. Fresh pineapple in a pie is delicious, especially if it's just a little over ripe, the flavour is wonderful. Hope everything with your tests goes well for you too.
Bobbi and Shiney So pleased you like the pics of my little rainforest, it's amazing how you can keep finding places and spaces to put more plants in:)
Janet those ''red things'' are rosellas, which make a wonderful jam. It's from the hibiscus family, here's a pic of it in flower and later when the rosellas, themselves form. Looking forward to pics of your garden as it sounds wonderful...great pic of you and the sequoia tree.
Peggy all those flowers sound wonderful, where's the pics please?:D Thanks for the kind comments of my little RF, I've seen pics of your place, so I count that as high praise indeed! My latest addition to it is a Ylang Ylang tree ( cananga odorata) it's oil is used in aromatherapy and in perfumes etc. The fragrance from the flowers is supposed to be indistinguishable from Chanel No. 5...here's hoping!
Nat, great to see you again..........and you too KyGal you lil gold digger you! Talk to you all soon and hoping it warms up for y'all :)

working ALOT lately....hardly get the chance to get online much cause by the time I get home I am just to tired and sleepy that I go straight to bed....lol
i'm gonna try to add a slide show here so ya'll can see my kids and grandson,,,they have grown so much....i'll do the test area first and then post it here so keep watching.

Morn' Folks!
Rhonda I did check out your photo albums on facebook...kewl!
Kids are growing.
Nat keep havin' a wonderful time and stay safe~~~~~Thanks for update...I would love to check out your pics on facebook...send me pm please.
Laurie I felt you would be ok...take care.
Shiney girl where are you friend? I know you are a go getter gal...miss you.
I had a wonderful email from Gramps last night...Have to return him message some time this day...
I have had grandbabies galore and two sick sisters and we have had rain every day for several weeks...not supposed to get any today...barefoot i go to the garden to attempt to plant more of it...LOL get to squish my toes in the mud... I have weeds in my gardens so bad that i need to get out...
John I haven't had film developed but I think, fingers crossed that cliff gets my camera fixed for me for birthday...he did mention it..
Randy its great that you kept the bluegrass thread on top...good job.
Peggy

Gotta say something once in awhile anyway. LOL I don't do games, so this one is the only thread I check into in this section. It's still rainy here too and I have things to do. I'm already just a little overdue on spraying the fruit trees. This is the off year for apples, so I won't get very many. But the pear trees are loaded again.

Weather is still lousy. It reminds me of a joke I heard a long time ago. You know how you can tell when it is summertime in Oregon? The rain is warmer. I'm thinking I will go over to the fire department today and see if I can set something up for cooking breakfast for the firefighters some morning. You can't call them firemen anymore cause some of them ain't.

I hardly go anywhere else on here but here...no time...
Well thats a lie...I choose not to spend a lot of time on puter by choice...like staying on top of things around here and have a few too many irons in the fire... I will resolve that this summer...
Its 63 here at 7:34am to get to 75 and sunny today...LOL no rain in the forcast for today...thank ya Lord...
I have been planting outside in between rains some of the different plants i had started in the winter....gonna plant all my sunflowers today...have 6 different kinds and the Mexican sunflower is already coming up...
Peonies are budded or in bloom, all the different honeysuckles and clematis are blooming...I have another red clematis to plant today also...
Hope you all are haveing a wonderful week.
Peggy

I can't visit all the threads either and for the same reason. I only allot a certain amount of time for computer amusement, but It is surely more generous than what you allow yourself, PL. My responsibilities do not come anywhere near what the average homemaker has though. In addition, the computer time does help keep me from getting underfoot a lot of the time. It makes me wonder how we ever managed though when there were 6 computer users all using the same computer. Counting laptops, there are now 8 computers in the house. That seems sort of ridiculous to me, but that's the way it is.

Hope everyone is having a great week. We planted our vegetable garden last Thursday and finally the seed are beginning to sprout. There is nothing more rewarding than beginning to harvest all the produce fromy your garden. Makes all the days of laboring over the garden seem worthwhile.

I planted my Sungold tomato on the back porch today. I can cover it if I need to if the weather looks threatening, but at least I got something in the ground. My garden area is host to a lush garden of weeds. I'm thinking I might go to the farm store tomorrow and see what a mower deck costs for the tractor. We had one nice stretch of good weather while we were gone to California and I could have tilled it then. I think the weeds are too high now. I have been considering a mower deck anyway, but I wanted to put it off for awhile longer.

That's for sure. They do seem to flourish when other plants do not. I am going by the farm store today and see what kind of deal they may have on a mower deck.

we've had a rainy week and today the sun is out and suppose to be sunny tomorrow but rain tonight
i can hear the weeds and grass growing, i'm sure i will be mowing the lawn after work tomorrow if it does not rain before i get home

My beautiful weeds are flourishing...:)I have to keep smiling to keep from :(.....yup frowning...but the blooms giving a show now are iris...awe the peach and grape ones smell so good as well as the many peonies in bloom...I cut a nice bunch for the tables today....salvia are blooming...
I took all my plants in the garden window thats in the kitchen and put them all out but my lemon tree out around the ground cover around all the front trees...I planted the pots at the front driveway with ruby nastrium... and I have a few roses blooming...I have one climber that is in need of Peggy building her a trellis to spread herself over.
I have asparagus up about 4" tall right now...tickles me...
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and moms and mothers.....Happy Mothers Day early...
Peggy

I brought home a mower deck this afternoon. I need to do some assembly in order to hook it up to the tractor. I am going to spray tomorrow before I work on anything else though. The weather is supposed to cooperate for a change.

The breeze was blowing this morning when MF and I came home from breakfast. I started working on assembly of that mower and spent a good part of the day on it. Once I got the owner's guide from the farm store though, it went much easier. I got the garden area and the orchard all mowed and then rigged the sprayer and got the fruit trees sprayed.

G'day folks:)
the weather here is slowly getting cooler with the temp today only about 74F with a cool breeze blowing. I planted some more peas today including the Dutch purple variety which are supposed to have a great flavour. I also did my last beach fishing for the year as the water is getting a bit too cool for this ole boy. There's still plenty of winter fish around so I may just try and do a little rock fishing. This is a little more dangerous especially if the waves are a little rough, but there's nuffin like fresh fish for dinner!
I sent my mum some flowers and a card for Mother's Day and I rang her as I do every year. She lives over 500 miles away from me so getting to visit her every year can be a little difficult, on occasions.
I'm still potting up my cuttings and putting a few of my tender tropicals away before the frost arrives. I've still got a couple on months but it seems to arrive earlier as time goes on, so this year I'm taking no chances. We've now officially entered the dry season over here so not much rain is expected until about September. I may have to mow only one more time as the grass has slowed right down and I no longer have to mow it weekly...one less thing to do in the yard!;)
Hope you're all keeping well and it's great to see you all checking in, even the gold digger and our own travelling lady....great post by the way Nat...very interesting, looking forward to the next installment, stay well folks till next time:) There's plenty of autumn leaves for me to rake too!

Attachments

• 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 247
I agree on the fishing, John. I would love to be able to walk to the beach and cast a line myself, but it's a fair distance from me, certainly not walking distance for me.

Wombat & Randy--
Youngest son & his father went fishing Sat.(secret spot!;):D) Caught quite a few but brought home only a couple of good sized( 1 about 12" & the other about14-15") brook trout. Now if I can just get some fresh fiddleheads to go with them! MMMmmmmm!
Love fresh trout--but REALLY love the little pan friers. I think they're not supposed to keep anything under 6" any more tho'. But-6-7"-that's a good size!;):D
It's been quite a while since I've done any fishing myself--but love it--especially brook fishing. And sorry guys but I dont think there's any need for all the fancy fishing gear(I know--it's a guy thing:rolleyes:);):D A good pole and some good worms are all you need. And can you imagine---in some places you cant fish with worms anymore!!!!!!!!!:confused: What is up with that?

It's just a means of controlling the harvest, GP. With the pressure there is on recreational fishing now, such measures do become necessary. Although it does seem a shame that has to happen when kids cannot use worms. We can use worms here in most places, but there are areas where only fly fishing is allowed. Those are not kid friendly places though. Many of our streams are not only fly fishing only but strictly catch and release. In the lake that is closest to me here, we can only catch and keep one bass and I think the minimum length is 12". That isn't a big bass by any means, but the lake is fished so heavily that they had to curtail the catching and keeping. I don't care much for fishing the lake because there are so many people there anyway, but David and the grandson like it, so I go with them and fish for trout that have been planted. David and Alec don't care to bring them home or eat them though, so they either release them for someone else to catch or give them to someone at the lake.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back