The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I never remember when TVprograms are on. I haven't seen American Idol this season.Some of the folks I've seen in the past already sounds like they're professionals. :) Curbie

By the time they make it to the top 24 they have to be pretty good. I love music but don't care for the modern styles. I like opera, light opera, folk music, ethnic music, musical comedy, some country/western, and a few others. Curbie, have you listened to the Andy Griffith disc yet? Your sides will hurt.

Since we don't have it, the answer would be "probably not". I'll get there. :) Has anyone else ever noticed when they are under a little pressure what they truly do gravitate to? I am totally music and cooking. ~ Curbster

The things that cause me to have pressure are the things that I need to be doing. There are three of them right now; taxes, garden perparation, and that trailer I am building for the church. The rain is keeping me from the trailer and the garden, but it is my lousy attitude that is keeping me from doing my taxes. I tell myslef every year I am going to get started early and it has never happened yet.

MTM here ~ Randy let's meet in Vegas and do our taxes together. We begin in December and had to file an extension last year. And if we get a tax return, we'll get a new trailer for the church, a 4,500' yacht with The Curb and a Pickle as the Captains. We may not get our taxes done for a while...........MTM

this is how Earl Pickle rolls...

HPIM0785a.jpgit might not be very suave...but wot the heck!!!!

Sounds like a plan, MTM. I have a cousin living down in Vegas that I haven't seen since 1951. I wonder though, would you call that a 'pickle boat'?

OK, this is Curbie ~ We have a boat so to get it to Vegas would be a wee bit of a difficult job. Tonya, that is a GREAT pickle boat :) If we use JUST the tube from the roll we can 'roll, roll, roll your boat' ...... gently down the stream...and you'll live happily ever after...b/c you are not so real. I got MTM a shamrock 3 years ago. When I went to the grocery store today, this gal in the floral department asked,"Can I help you?" no no no, thank you...I REALLY want an orchid but I'm getting another shamrock as a gift. I did NOT know shamrocks have either green leaves or purple leaves. Came home with a shamrock and.....an orchid. I did buy food too :) ~ Curbie

I don't know anything about them, Curbie. We havd had some orchid growers stop in to the forum in the past, but I don't think they stayed long. Maybe Crabber knows something about them.

:) :) :) :) :) GREAT NEWS ! ! ! ! my Lenten rose has bloomed :) :) :) MTMailman is listening to Irish music with corned beef in the crockpot. Life could not be much better here. Curbiez

We had a couple of pipers play at church this morning and it was great. I got some photos, but I haven't downloaded them from the camera yet.

Does anyone else have an orchid? I don't want it to die and I may be leaving home for a while. ~ Curbie

I had several ochides that were doing really well for the first 2 and 1/2 years we were up here...then when we bought this place and I moved them in ...well with in two months all had died...OY...
I think that if you wick water them while you are gone they would be fine..
this coming form the greatest mass orchid murderer...LOL.

an orchid murderer.....great...:)I think if I have to leave, I will huddle all the plants together, turn on the radio, and say,"Well, you're on your own." Hope the cats don't eat the poinsettias, shamrocks, orchid or the radio. What a plan. The coleus can go back outside since they have stayed in the kitchen but now they're in with a prayer plant. Maybe last years geraniums can go back out now......roar :) Curbie

I had several ochides that were doing really well for the first 2 and 1/2 years we were up here...then when we bought this place and I moved them in ...well with in two months all had died...OY...
I think that if you wick water them while you are gone they would be fine..
this coming form the greatest mass orchid murderer...LOL.

maybe ,mis flower maybe they didn't like the temperature????i'm just guessing....but i think orchids are like seedlings...they need moisture and warmth....they don't necessarily need sun until they have leaves to convert sun into energy to provide life for roots???? this is my guess as to why my seedlings don't flourish as robustly as others...our house temperature is set at 68 degrees and i don't have electric heating pads...i do bring terra cotta bricks that have sat in the sun for 6 hours in and place them under my flats of seeds....but i still believe that seeds and warm natured plants(orchids) must have warmth to survive and flourish. i believe some plants just like it hot!

Aww Debe, as my little Asian advisor tells me "jou love dem to much"! This guy is great I spent 2 hours talking orchids last time I saw him.

3 thing, Light , heat, water

Light: Bright southern exposure the best, but not full hot sun. So Inside near a window, outside in filtered light.

Heat: Never below 60* they really prefer about 70 up but not dry heat which bring us to
Water:
Not to much. They don't want to stay wet. You have to almost think of them as an air plant. Water thoughly no more than once a week. Use a bamboo skewer to test how wet the plant is. Stick the skewer in beside the pot and leave for 5 minutes. When you pull it out if it is wet do not water. Mist daily as they like HUMID conditions. Think tropical rain forset warm and humid.
NEVR ever plant in dirt. Always use and orcid mix as they do not like their roots bogged down or saturated.

3 keys;)

Where's the key to the front door? :) WHY did I GET this silly plant....the Earth roates so I'm going to walk around the house, not doing laundry b/c I don't want this orchid to die. "No honey, there is no dinner b/c I was walking around the house with this daggone stupid plant b/c MY roots got bogged down." oh boy....stupid plant or owner :) ~ Curbie

maybe ,mis flower maybe they didn't like the temperature????i'm just guessing....but i think orchids are like seedlings...they need moisture and warmth....they don't necessarily need sun until they have leaves to convert sun into energy to provide life for roots???? this is my guess as to why my seedlings don't flourish as robustly as others...our house temperature is set at 68 degrees and i don't have electric heating pads...i do bring terra cotta bricks that have sat in the sun for 6 hours in and place them under my flats of seeds....but i still believe that seeds and warm natured plants(orchids) must have warmth to survive and flourish. i believe some plants just like it hot!

I think the big climate change was the trouble...I may try a few again when life slows a bit around here

What makes you think life is going to slow down around there. However, if we have a bif snowstorm and your roads are closed, that would do it.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back