The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

MG ~ Take yourself some flowers and balloons to work on your birthday :) "I LOVE myself. I LOVE myself!" Play the CD that has the music you like. :) ~

Randy I took pics the other day of the light and dark tobacco patches over at the home place... Its growing nicely.... I have yet to unload them so I will do that soon. Curb took more pics of the garden also...

I am cooking on the smoker today... 1 large pork loin, 3 racks of baby back ribs, 2 racks of spare ribs.. creek taters, stove top baked beans, broccli/ cauliflour salad, german chocolate cake, big jug of tea.

Hope you all have a great 4th ...Shiney here it is your special day young lady...sure hope it is one wildly, wonderous, memorable birthday... You Rock girl!!!!!!!.....Have bunches of fun and laughter.
Peggy

This is the day for the BBQ. Fiona did some chicken on our's. We had corn too and some potato salad (from the deli).

We had burgers, hot dogs,, chicken, sausage and some fresh cod that my cousins sil caught yesterday. Lots of salads. No one went away hungry. It was a good time had by all and then we watched some awesome fireworks that they put on

Fiona and her family are leaving after a bit for a few days of camping in Washington (state) and will be back on Wednesday. I'll handle the animal care (chickens, cats, goats, and horse) while they are gone. Shouldn't be too difficult though. I've done it lots of times before.

I am ready to get focused again after the holiday...
We all had a good time and had way too much to eat.
The ribs all turned out moist and very tasty...
I tried a new basting concoction that I took from several different recipes.

Have many goals for this week...LOL maybe I'll at least get a few accomplished...

Hope you all have a wonderful week. I will post the pics in the a.m. .....

Peggy

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 278
I just finished a long jamming session. I did about 36 jars but some of those are small ones. I did cherry jam, strawberry jam, and wild blackberry jam. I'm pooped though and my back is hurting. I'll be fine tomorrow though.

Good Morning everyone.

The jams sound good Randy....don't believe I have ever eaten cherry before..

Here are a few pics

Peggy

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Picture13.jpg
    Picture13.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Picture19.jpg
    Picture19.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 307
Dale we do that in mid to late August here....
It is hard work but I love working in the tobacco...all but suckering it.
When we haul it in I still work the top tear... I have worked that since I was a young teenager.
Peggy

That's a pretty field but that biker babe is something else. LOL She is off to a good start.

Just wanted to pop in and say HI! Reading but not posting ... maybe in a few days. Take care all and I miss you!!

Peggy, you are so right... Dad farmed tobacco back in my childhood days and it was very hard work. All the women worked at the barn and the men cropped the leaves in the fields. I liked to string it but mostly worked as a hander. A couple of the croppers would come and hang the sticks of tobacco on the top tears and worked it on down till the barn was full. The next week it cured all week long by kerosene burners in the barn. Mom and dad had to keep a check on the temp every few hours even during the nights. I know it has all changed now and there's no stringers and handers and the croppers ride down the rows now instead of walking. And there's no mule drawn dray (cart with no wheels) to pull the loads to the barn. Well.. I could go on and on about the events under the barn shed and the pack house and such but I guess most here know little about tobacco farming so it would be boring. Gosh those memories are something else! Thanks for taking me for a walk in the past...

Hi everyone. Gloria, I'm an old Texas gal and never saw tobacco grow or worked, but I don't think anything about the good old days is boring or insignificant. I love to hear folks talk about back then.
Hope things are slowing down here a bit so I can come in and enjoy some good company again soon. Hope everyone who needs rain gets it, and everyone who's had enough starts to see some sunshine. In other words, hope everyone is having a good day.

Day 5 of not smoking, trying again. I said if I bought a new car that I was going to quit smoking. Not sure what is worse smoking or eating lindt truffles and chocolate. Been pigging out on them as my cousin has a given me a bag full the last 2 weekends..
The dr won't like it when i have some blood work done in 10 days. They are my downfall.

Randy JoJo is my third from the youngest grandbaby... She is a hoot for sure... ....and I do believe out of all the grandkids she is the one who helps Nana in the gardens. She goes from flower to flower and says smell Nana..pretty. She speakes her mind very well. Very well mannered. Now they call her lil Peggy.. LOL don't know if that is good or bad... could be a lil of both...Laurie I had lit a cig one day and she pointed up at the smoke and said "Stinkin' s... Nana" She knew she had said a bad word...both hands were over her mouth and she had this lil grin on her face.. Anyway she isn't sayin that anymore thank goodness.

Gloria and froglady Hello! Good seeing ya both. When we would finish housing tobacco back when I was Dad gave me the leaves to sell so I would be gathering hands out of the fields and barn and tying, put them in a basket til I got back to the barn. That was my spending money..made a nice lil stash to go Christmas shopping... The tobacco was lots of hard work and I am forever grateful for the work ethic that it taught me... Cliff has the same work ethic I grew up with... In thirty three years before he retired he missed three days work...when his wife passed.....all the time he was there...

Good luck on the smoking endeavor Laurie... I have quit a thousand times and have had no success...YET! I went to my plumanary doctor yesterday.. Had to do that breathing test in a body box...Yea told that gal this should be called a breathing box. Anyway Doc said you haven't had a test in two years and your breathing is better now than two years ago... Oxygen level before and after was 97%... And I have lost twenty-two lbs in the past 6 months... I don't walk but I have been doing body electric most every day and using the bow-flex about three times a week... I don't do sweets at all, or bread, occasionally I do whole wheat toast.

Hope you all have a wonderful week..

Shiney where are ya girlfriend... Love the pic of you gals of facebook that Pam posted...

Here's a pic of my "Gate to Nowhere" I built using the bricks we pilfered on my birthday.

Attachments

• gate 001.jpg
    gate 001.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 286
  • gate 002.jpg
    gate 002.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 278
Are you going to pilfer some more for the wall? LOL

My day was really busy today. I had a great visit at the nursing home and worked in the garden, orchard, and berry patch all afternoon.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back