The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Laurie sure hope you can quit smoking. For me, quitting smoking was the hardest thing I ever did. Been quit 25+ years now, I still miss smoking although I know it's not good for my health. Keep us posted on your progress.

Peggy here in SC the gather of tobacco is mechanized a lot. One large tobacco farmer has a total of workers to get it gathered and in the barn. It's amazing to see how it's done now versus how my husband said they used to do the process. Like Gloria explained the process.

Hi, my name is Gloria and I'm a tobaccoholic...seems like all those years of working in tobacco that I would have learned never to start smoking but here I am ..a smoker of 30years. I want to quit ..if for no other reason..it's too expensive and not to forget, it's a killer. My Mom and Dad never smoked but all 5 of us children use tobacco in one form or another. That in itself is pathetic!! Luckily I didn't really start smoking till after both my children were born..I was 24 at the time of addiction.
Laurie, I wish you luck and strong will on your fight against smoking. Please remember this..never think after you have quite for awhile that you can have just one and it will be ok. I learned the hard way. If you ever pick up another, you will be hooked again.

I quite for a year at the age of 36 after surgery. I slept through the withdrawals! One day while fishing and the knats were so bad, I got a cigarrette from a friend so that the smoke would help keep the bugs away. That one cigarette pulled me back to the addiction. The craving was back full blast so I got a pack..smoked a few ..said I wasn't going to let it happened, threw them away and several hours later I went back to the store for more. If you beat the habit... never ever pick up another for any reason..
I'm rooting for you Laurie, you can do it.

Dale there's so much more to the old method of growing tobacco, I'm sure your hubby has explained it all. It was a day to day process till the crop was done. It's been simplified so much thru the years. If my parents were alive now, they would be in awe as to how much it has changed.

Good luck with kicking the smoking habit Laurie. I'm still trying but can't find a stopping place.

Peggy, daddy used to let us sell some watermelons and cantelopes to make a bit of spare change. We usually hand made Christmas gifts until we all had jobs. Some of those handmade gifts were pretty dear. My brothers whittled each other model air planes out of orange crate wood. Sisters and I were allowed scraps of fabric to make scarves or embroidered hankies for mama and each other.

Shiny, that's a cute gate. My Aunt has the cement steps from her old farmhouse sitting in her yard to use as a pot plant stand and we call that the steps to nowhere:eek:)

Glad you had a good visit today Randy.

I made a trip to town and the air suspension is out on my car. Felt like I was on a trampoline so I'm not going to be going anywhere until that is fixed. Not in my lincoln anyhow. Talk about a rough ride. Fritz laughed and said now I know what a low rider feels like:eek:)

Gloria, same here with not kicking the habit. I quit for 5 months one time and was stressed about Fritz having surgery and during the recovery period, with him sitting here smoking every day, I did the same thing. Asked him for a cigarette and had to go buy a package before the day was over. I keep saying I will try to quit again, but hasn't happened yet. Wonder whose rent I pay every month!!

It sure is a beautiful morning...present temp 77°.
I am picking blackberries today..going to make my lil man blackberry cobbler..
Hope you all have a super wonderful weekend filled with lots of laughter and joy.
Peggy

I haven't gone berry picking yet and I know they are ready. I have really been busy though. But if I miss the berry season, I am in a world of hurt in getting my jam made for the year.

Shiney
Love the gate.... I took all the bricks from around my trees and gardens as I had to weed whack instead of mowing, thinking of making a planter out of them.
Not doing well on the smoking at work, have a couple a day but at home none.
hoping to not have any at work soon. Beautiful sunny day here for a change and suppose to be sunny all weekend

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend... I sure ded~~~ R & R felt good...I sure needed it... I spent most of the day in the pool yesterday..

The big farmers here....hired Mexicans to do all their tobacco work.. 'til government buy out of the tobacco farmers I worked many a long day beside them in the tobacco and picking peppers when I was laid off construction work...... It took all I had to work with them ...In spit of everybody wanting a job most felt too good for manual labor, or just didn't have the backbone....then complain when they had to hire folks to come in to get the crops in...
Peggy

Attachments

• Picture30.jpg
    Picture30.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 272
You look perfect in the pool, my friend.

I had an awesome weekend. Went to an auction with my boy Saturday. He got about 10 iron skillets he will sell on e-bay. I got a pitchfork. Reallly wanted these sections of old iron fence/gates, but they went out of my price range as I feared they would.

Had the family over for dinner last night to give Mom a break. We spent the night laughing our heads off at BabyJane. She is a riot. Poor baby got Gramma Debbie's goofball genes and she knows how to capture a crowd. I just don't understand how she knows all this stuff at 14 months. Little Cohen is beginning to smile lots. He was captivated looking up at the leaves in my shady back yard.
With our work schedules...and Little Sis has started college...we don't talk much, so it was so nice just to visit a while.
My dad is almost deaf, but he seems to hear every "Papawwwwl" Janie yells.

I'm off tomorrow and plan to pick blackberries for a cobbler. But I might pilfer more bricks...OR some creek rocks I have been offered. More fun to pilfer, but less chance of getting arrested if I have permission.

I wish you strength in getting the monkey off your back, Laurie. Sucker holds on tight, doesn't he? My CabinGirl Pam quit a year ago after smoking 30+ years...she says if she lives to be 65 she's starting up again cuz she misses them so badly. I wish my youngest would quit, but he won't.

I wish all of you a day as beautiful as today was. Good to see your smiling faces on here. I wish I had a s much time to talk to y'all as I used to...been a long time since I spun you a yarn...

I picked blackberries after church on Sunday and got 22.4 pounds. These were Obsidian Blackberries and they ripen a few weeks earlier than the Marionberries. I'll pick those in another week or so. I want to get about 50 pounds of the Marionberries. My grandkids will complain if I don't get jam made from those.

We had a good weekend nothing exciting past our anniversary on Friday night. This weekend though my Jessie and her kids are coming home. I can't wait I have missed her so much she has been gone on a job since last July. She had a second baby while she was gone, ( even though I got to fly out to see her it feels like a long time she has been gone), finally married, and seems to have become a great Mom! They will be staying with us until....... I think it's great!

Thanks Shiney
CG, so glad that they are finally coming home, boy it has taken long for them to get the final date. I know how excited you are about them coming home. Have a great weekend!!
Randy, yum. Wish I was there to have some cobbler and jam

We can make some when you o come out. I generally have some berries in the freezer most of the time. I need to check on the blueberries pretty quick. They are ready now at some of the places.

Happy Belated Birthday Laurie...
Its a kewl 62 this am...It really shouldn't surprise me but it does...
Any way its too kewl for me to go out and have my coffee.. Maybe i am just getting to be a wuss. LOL! I can laugh at myself anyway...
I jammed blackberries and raspberries this week....and froze a bunch...
I made cobbler this week also...no blackberry this time....peach.. I made blackberry last week.
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend....
Peggy

Thanks Peggy for the birthday wishes
You all have been so busy with your berries. I've got to make a berry patch in my yard some day. It's cool here this am too, had rain over night and suppose to have more this am
Got to get out and dig up some plants in my yard, put some out for sale last week @ $2 each and have sold 30 of them. Figured i would put the price to $2 this yr and see how I do, had them for $1 last yr and sold almost 400 of them. Hostas aren't selling this yr, sold almost 200 of them last yr

Ain't it funny how everybody rushes out in shorts in the spring as soon as it gets to 50 or so....but let it get to 70 in the summer and we put sweatpants on???!!!

Ain't it funny how everybody rushes out in shorts in the spring as soon as it gets to 50 or so....but let it get to 70 in the summer and we put sweatpants on???!!!

LOL no sweats here....Heck I put a bathing suit on like every morning this past month... The high today is 67 and drizzle rain ever once in a while..
Oh well it has been a good day to get a few thing done in here...I set up a water fountain in the sun room...washed kitchen windows and curtains.....washed and waxed the kitchen floor...clear frig out...made a grocery list...made dad maccroon cookies...his favorite.....made a meat loaf to cook for dinner tomorrow...ready to go in oven..

Good luck on you flower sale Laurie...every lil bit sure helps out...

Peggy

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back