Tomatoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

MF was telling me that she saw Tom Selleck on Rachael Ray's talk show today and she said Tom Selleck does not eat vegetables or fruits. I never felt sorry for him before, but I think he will pay dearly for his diet.
Oh, I saw that too about Tom Selleck and he was fascinating talking about he can eat tomatoes if they are 'in' things but he can't see (as Rachel labeled them) 'tomato guts'. He owns an avocado ranch-- and when Rachel said,"Man, you must be REALLY SLICK, herding an avocado" I thought I would die laughing. BUT he will not eat one b/c he said,"They're not ripe... b/c they stay green." She asked if he had ever tried one and he said,"WHY would I eat something I DON'T LIKE, when I can SELL it?" His interview was truly hysterical. Thanks for your squash recipes, Randy. Hm.....butter......in my book, butter is better ~ wrong but better~

I'll do that Kim. I will have a couple of those squash today for lunch. I saw a straightneck that will probably be ready to pick today. I also saw the beans had some little ones on there about 2" long. It won't be long now and I will have lots and lots of beans. The pumpkins look like they are adding about an inch of growth each night.

Randy, how did you learn to grow so many things? Like, were you a natural 'farmer'? You're obviously a nuturer. ~

Curbie, I don't think there is a single thing that I have learned that was not the result of someone sharing their knowledge with me. Granted, there are probably a few things that I picked up from either a good experience or a bad one, but mostly what I know has come from people willing to share their knowledge with me. Part of it was being the child of two people that were raised on farms.

"People treat you the way you treat them" has always been my motto so you continue to re-new their knowledge and share with all. Thank you ~ Hope you had a great time at the potluck (any cobbler left? Now how silly was THAT to ask?) ~

Actually we had quite a bit left as everone brought a dessert. The instructions did say "small dessert", but I don't do small. I probably used 11 or 12 cups of berries.

Ok.... got the digital camera replaced. Although, not as nice as our previous one. But for the LIFE of me, I can't figure out why these files are so HUGE. The pics I uploaded from the camera to share with you guys (and ask a question about something as always), are 2.3 MB! Does anyone know how I can resize these things so that they are more managable?

John, you can set up your camera to use less memory (lower resolution) and they will be smaller in size. I leave my camera though on 'fine' which is the highest resolution but then I downsize the photos for posting on the forum. I think all the photo software allows you to do that, but I have seen one free program mentioned a lot as far as easy to use and it is a free download (Irfranview, or Irfanview). Someone will correct me if I have spelled that wrong. But try to get into your menu and look for how to set up your resolution. Smaller file size will also increase the number of photos you can take on your memory card.

How many mega pixels does your new camera take? Higher mega pixel cameras are going to produce large photo files.

Tell us what you're using it for, John. That makes a big difference ~ If you have My Pictures on a Dell (or w/e), you downlaod your photos & can always go to the specific photo you select, click on the tool bar and drop down menu 'says': Resize. I do this for emails b/c I also use my full size photos for framing. ~ C.

How many mega pixels does your new camera take? Higher mega pixel cameras are going to produce large photo files.

It's an elcheapo point and shoot 12.0 MP by Kodak. So far, I HATE it because unlike the previous DSLR, it doesn't have a view-finder. And since I'm an old fart and used to 35mm and then my former DSLR where I could compose the pics with my eye instead of having to look at a screen.... I find it terribly disconcerting trying to take pics with this thing.... LOL.

Anyway, I'll play around with it and see if there is something on this confounded machine (it's new too and I'm not used to VISTA. I can't find a darned thing!) that will allow me to resize them down without degrading the quality too much.

Man.... it's no fun getting old. When you're used to your old stuff, things just aren't the same. :rolleyes:

I found a free online picture re-sizer, but these things are so big (3000 x 4000 pixels on the one I just checked) and being on a dial up.... I don't think the thing would load by next WEEK let alone the four or five I wanted to share.... LOL

Oh well, I'll figure it out. :cool:

JW ~ even with dial-up, you can't do this dowsizing with whatever computer you have? How do you download them and where do they go. I hear you about getting old ~ I'm ALWAYS relieved when my daughter comes over and fixes everything on the computer. ~

Congrats, KyaD ! God bless the garden (and the gardener). I smell a salad coming on. Heck, I would just stand there and eat it :) ~

JW ~ even with dial-up, you can't do this dowsizing with whatever computer you have? How do you download them and where do they go. I hear you about getting old ~ I'm ALWAYS relieved when my daughter comes over and fixes everything on the computer. ~

I uploaded them right from the camera to the HD. I'm not sure if there is something to re-size stuff on this new computer or not. VISTA may be ok once I learn where everything is, but right now, I don't care for it at all. I can't find anything. LOL :eek:

12 megapixel photos are HUGE files! That's much nicer than my 6 year old digital camera. It only has 3.8 megapixels, and it takes great pictures.

Most cameras come with some software, and there is usually a 'resize photo' tab under either edit or photo. If it didn't come with any software, you can tray and search Vista for "Windows Photo Gallery' which is supposed to come on all Vista computers.

You can also download Google's free photo editing software at http://picasa.google.com/

Last edited:
Like Blue says, John, I'm sure it's there. Even though I have had this computer for about 4 years now, once in awhile I find something I had no idea was on here.

Men and their toys ~ new COMPUTER, new camera........geez, JW. :) You sure do have a lot of help here. Jules knows a lot also. I don't know what this means, Blue : "you can tray". Aren't we glad we all MAY, collectively, have enough sense to survive ourselves? Good luck ~ C.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back