Need a potato education

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Yes, that is true. But I think it might have been Susan that told me that when someone is searching for answers, it is nice to find the subject you expect to find too. LOL I did it again today, but then remembered to say what we had for dinner.

LOL... Randy, I do that all the time too.... start going on about something else, then qualify the post by adding in something appropriate to the topic!
My russian blue potatoes have actual leaves now... my russet's are just sending out roots and shoots (I dug one up yesterday and peeked!) so they will be another week or 2 before they are actually up out of the ground, but the klondike rose have just tiny little white spots where they want to sprout. If they were in the kitchen I would just peel them and eat them that's how little they have sprouted. I'll give them 2 more weeks, then if they are still moving so slowly, I'll toss them in the compost and use the space for my cucumber or pepper plants!

I planted some of those blue potatoes once. The family was just not impressed. It reminded me of a story my mother told us. We had a cow when I was pretty young and that cow provided the family with more milk than we could use. Mom would use some of the cream to make home made ice cream quite often. One time she got creative and put some green food coloring in it. We were so spoiled with uncolored ice cream that we wouldn't eat it.

Blue potatoes?? Now I'm curious! Never heard of such. I think I'll stick to my white tators and hope for the best. There's just something not right about mashed potatoes or potato salad being blue!

Blue potatoes taste like regular taters. I can't get used to the blue color.

LOL..when something is an unusual color, seems it makes a difference. My dad was funny about green! I'll never forget the time Mom made a cake and put green food coloring in the icing, he said it was poison and he wouldn't touch it!

Randy, *LOL
I just thought I had missed something..:eek:
We all fall off topics, and sometimes post words in the wrong one.. if we have a few open in different tabsor just preoccupied with gardeing thoughts...:)*LOL
That is the way of a Gardener with interests;)
We can't help ourselves! I am in on it! ;);)

In person or the phone I can touch on many subjects on 30 seconds flat*LOL
Talk to people about gardening even if they can't understand a word I am saying, I just yipp anyway *LOL They just look at if I am nuts or something and keep walking to their car and lock the door*LOL (one lady actually did that*LOL
I kept talking I couldn't help myself I was in the mood to chat and was no where near my forum pals*lol

My DH loves the blue chips I don't although they are a good "junk" food.
Aldi's has them for 1.69 a large half full bag*LOL
I can say I would love to get my hands on blue taters to plant!
That would be mighty interesting. I wonder what the plant looks like and behaves*lol
humm... does it vine like the batas and sweet potato?

Have a great day...:)

Kale:D

As I remember, the plant didn't look any different that any other potato. I ordered them from either Gurney's or Henry Fields I'm pretty sure.

As I remember, the plant didn't look any different that any other potato. I ordered them from either Gurney's or Henry Fields I'm pretty sure.
Randy, white potatoes and sweet potatoes look completely different. One vines the other grows upright on its own without a trellis. I was wondering what does it do, does it attach itself to a trellis etc..?
What color is it? How big do the taters grow*lol
Just a curious thought..

Who else grew them !

Anyone else growing them now!??:D:confused:

Kale:)

I think the blue ones are higher in vit. C. I really need to get in gear and plant the down hill side of my garden. I have been waiting for the cilantro to finish seeding, then I can pull it out and plant. I was going to do sweet potaotes and another white typw but maybe I will see if I can get red jackets or even the blues. That would be fun for a change.

I have never planted sweet potatoes, so I was comparing the 'blue' potato to the Yukon Gold' and 'Detroit Reds' that I also planted. Considering that we have sweet potatoes twice a year, their is no point in taking up garden space with them. My guess is that they also require more growing time than we have too. But that's a moot issue anyway.

Oh Randy,
Sweets are not just for holidays. We bake them like potatoes and they are a great change from the norm. Our BBQ places offer baked sweets year round;)

We do baked sweets and yams quite regularly as well! they are yummy!!
The russian blue potatoes are growing like crazy! the foliage is a very dark purplish green. There is something else besides the vitamine C in them...some sort of antioxidant... Anyway, apparently they make excellent french fries, and baked as well. There is a purple tomatoe available now as well...same thing, some special antioxidant comes along with the purple color. Have not got any of those though.

I love sweet potatoes. Going to try to grow some next yr, Never got around to it this yr. time got away from me.

I forgot. MF actually does serve baked sweet potatoes several times a year. The dish she prepares at holiday time though is pretty special. She purees the potatoes and there are chopped walnuts covering the top. I think there must be some sugar added to the topping also. I know it's mighty good tasting.

MMMM... that's like us, we have the special dish for holidays too. we cube up the sweet potatoe, (or yam) and boil it with sugar and butter in the water till soft but not mushy. Then serve with more butter, and a big glug of real maple syrup. as if they need any more sweetening! lol.... soooo good though! My russets have actual little leaves now too... won't be long till I can put my first layer of sawdust in to top them up! :)

Randy we call that dish sweet potato soufflee. At the local barbecue restaurants in our area serve it on their food buffet. It is really yummy!!!!!

It is a staple in our home at Christmas and Thanksgiving, Dale. I can't even remember when MF started preparing it. It seems like it has always been that way. The one thing I miss most though is the cornbread dressing she used to make. She uses box dressings now and they are certainly not the same. But I understand why she has stopped making the other. As it is, she works too hard anyway.

Well I had to buy seed potatoes today. I dug up where I planted my other ones and no roots or nothing. I decided to just go with yukon golds again. If I don't get potatoes this year I will just let my mom grow them and just raid her garden!:D

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back