The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Oh ~ I learned 2 things today. That jam is magnificent on ice cream and that you really can groom a cat with a fork. No kidding. Gamson was sitting and I brushed him with a fork. I should open a pet store. He really did like it ~ don't BUY a pet brush, use a fork. My 2 cents worth :) Yes, it's in the dishwasher. It really does work. MTM says,"Have you found your box yet?" nope ~ outside my box ...still. It really does work. Martha Stewart ~ aka Curbie :)

I honestly went to the grocery store, ma'am. I gave one to the cashier (Renee) . My neighbor works at this store as a manager. Renee said,"I DARE you to call her over here." "Margaret, put this in the freezer for Renee. I paid for them. Want one?" MTM and I shared one with jam on it. That is SUCH a good idea. ~ Curbie

I have one strawberry batch that didn't gel as firmly as most and it makes an excellent topping also. I think I have one jar of that batch left and I have a meeting where I need to provide goodies. I might do that for that night. I could take a jar of the blueberry and that jar of strawberry. It won't be long and strawberries will be in season again. The next class put on by the library will be in early June and it will be on making strawberry jam. I already know how, but I will probably go anyway.

I used the jam on a Klondike we shared last night ~ I didn't eat much dinner b/c I knew I was having dessert. (I'm a little kid at heart...) I searched the frig for maraschino cherries and could not find them b/c I wanted to try a combination. Jam is excellent on a Klondike :) Thanks, Randy ~ Curbie

I never tried that. But I could count the number of times I have had a Klondike Bar in my lifetime on one hand. I had some fun last summer though one day when I stopped at the local stop-and-rob store. There was a father buying something and he had three kids in tow. The youngest one was probably just barely in the talking stage. The ice cream case was right next to the checkout, so I reached in and took out an ice cream bar for each of the kids and handed them to the dad for the kids. At least by seeing me take them from the case, he knew they were safe for the kids to eat.

Klondikes were made in Pittsburgh :) :) :) at the Isaly factory. SUCH good ice cream. If I was good, we'd go to the factory ~ I got there about once a year. Now I see they're made in new JERSEY.....Ice cream always makes people smile. You are a true Good Samaritian. :) ~ Curbie

Three of 'my' kids (teenagers) came by today (I do have my favorite and he knows it). "Take us to the library." That is not how you ask so the answer is,"Nope." Chris said,"YOU dum bunny. You asked wrong ~ here's how you're SUPPOSED to ask, "May we please get a ride to the library?" It's a process but they continue to learn, like the rest of us. :) Curbie

Chris is my favorite ~ 14. He talks about everything here. He thinks when I die he can move in.."So you're going to live with Mr. Mike . Your Mom will be lonely so that's a bad idea." He knows my expectations for visiting and he is teaching the others that there are manners. I 'banned' (well...) one boy b/c he was disrespectful to me. Chris said,"I TOLD him....you're not getting back in there until you ask the right way." That teenager was over today ~ "May I please have a glass of water? Did I ask right?" yes you may. We got into a conversation about when you go to a restaurant, when you want to ask a girl out, etc. It was great ~ Curbie

That is good. So many of the kids don't even even hear what are proper manners these days. Makes you wonder if we may regress back to throwing bones back over our shoulders to the dogs as we did a thousand years ago.

When Dialo said,"YOU'RE not my Mom" I said....."i am when you're in my home AND you ring the doorbell." There's no monkeyshines with these teenage boys~ "Miss C. ~ you're too short to order me around. " bet not and I stood on a chair. Chris said,"see......you won't win. " Chris is 6'5 in 10th grade. Dialo is a work in progress. 2 outta 3 isn't bad so far. These boys don't really have any other place to hang out ~ they sit on the deck laughing about the Christmas tree eating ice cream sandwiches. Yesterday, Chris said,"i don't want to go out the front door b/c of someone who is out there. may i please go out the back gate?" I hope it's a safe place for them. :) ~ Curbie

Ice cream sandwiches don't cost that much and they are a good investment. I went to a class this evening where a sportsman's club is giving kids up to the age of 18 a course in marksmanship. I'm going to go out and give them a hand, and I don't mean clapping. Some of the kids don't have a rifle to use and I do. I have a single-shot .22 that I bought 50 years ago and it is a Winchester Boy's Rifle, perfect for what they are doing.

I do believe that is a good idea, Randy. You've had a lot of experience and they will respect yours.Didn't John Wayne have a Winchester? I love cowboy movies ~ I like the horses....You know when they're chasing the Indians. The Indians had the BEST horses, Appaloosas and pintos and paints..I still cheer for Tonto... I hope I didn't upset anyone ~ Curbie

I don't think there was ever a better group of horsemen than the plains Indians and they rode bareback. I think most the time I saw John Wayne carry a rifle it was a Winchester. I was always partial to them myself and I have several.

I have ridden a horse bareback, Camelot (aka Eat a lot). Then I was given a horse. I pretended I was Lil' Joe on Bonanza. I lasted about 35 seconds on my own horse. I landed on the ground and the horse walked off to eat grass. I was laying on my back thinking ~ WOT was I THINKING? oh....must not have been thinking...try again tomorrow.. :) She came back to lick my face b/c I was laughing. She was a great horse ~ Bonnie Marie. I whistled and she came from a huge pasture. Her foal was Copper Penny. I'm quite a cowgirl.....well. ~ Curbie :)

Ms Curbie and Mr Randy, you're doing a good thing to take time with these kids. Parents are sometimes too busy to ..awh shucks..who am I fooling..a lot of parents these days don't take the time or make the effort to spend time with their kids. Hats off to folks like you that make time for these precious future adults.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back