The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I don't have to travel far, but I intend to bake cookies tomorrow and take them to the hospital. I want to give a plate to the ER crew and another plate to those on the second floor where they took care of me last week.

I had a beautiful converstion this evening with a GF friend. We were laughing again. It truly is a sadness that we cannot call each other once they're 'home'. Mike is yelling,"Ask her how to clean a clay pot." He was talking about the one you cook in and she was talking about one for planting in. Michael...please speak with her. They talked about when they put their boat in the water. When we hung up, Mike said,"You look like a lost puppy." They have gone home to Canada~ good for them! I am sure their families/children are missing them. It truly has been a pleasure goofing off on the phone. Incredible kindness. I do believe, we are 'sister's' in a sense. I was fortunate to meet this person once. She had a GPS and it kept telling Mike,"You are not on the correct route." Mike never knows where he's going or how to get there so GPS means nothing to him ~ Gosh the Postal System. I will miss hearing from her. ~ Lost Puppy, but such a pleasure. How nice of Bob to connect friendships. ~ I'm done ~ Curbie :)

I delivered cookies to the hospital last evening. The ER crew and those at the nurses station were both very surprised. It was fun. I made a double batch of cookies, so had enough to fill the cookie jar here at home. The grandkids are all here now so they are disappearing quickly.

I am a firm beliver in 'random acts of kindess'. I had someone a few weeks ago (poor CutiePatutie) ~ She asked what I needed,"On the back of this card, please write 'Thank You' b/c I have to remember to say it." It is in the kitchen and will travel again. My sister-in-law works in an ER at one of the busiest hospital here. She is learning to speak Spanish so she can communicate better. When she graduated from nursing school, I stood up and applauded. She was 31. Divorced with 4 boys. She really is an astounding nurse and the ER will surely appreciate those cookies. For me, the biggest words and 'please' and 'thank you' ~ I appreciate. Do you know how much you helped me? Thank you for your thoughtfulness. Thank you for ..... Thoughtfulness seems to overwhelm people. :) but it is contagious. You set a fine example. ~ Curbie

Many years ago, I came to the conclusion that there were three classes of female workers that deserved special consideration because of what they got to deal with when dealing with the public. My wife was a long distance operator, if you can remember what those were. She would unload on me in the evening about the people she had to deal with that were not nice. So telephone operators were one of the category aforementioned. Waitresses are the second category and I always enjoy my "waitress" experiences especially when they join in the banter. But I have witnessed situations where they were treated like they were sub-human and I didn't like that. The third category is nurse. I have known quite a few in my lifetime and I know they often have a pretty rough job. There are other jobs that make dealing with the public a real pain, but those three have always been special to me. Of course, there are no more long distance operators so maybe I should find a substitute to put in that place for special attention. There is a cyber-friend that shows up on the forum here that is a remarkable lady in the sense that she raiesed her family pretty much by herself and she did it by waiting tables. I have never met her face to face and someday that may happen, but it isn't likely. She lives in Texas not all that far from Miss Dorothy. Dorothy and Marie have actually been able to meet each other, if I remember correctly.

My sister raised 3 kids on delivering pizza (and feeding them ....pizza). I had to call the Motor Vehicle Adminstration ~ 2 days to get through and "Push 1 if ...now, I have a few questions to ask you...." Anyway, I got this lovely lady named Margaret and she kept sneezing. (You know she was no Spring Chicken.) We need a form and she told me how to do it, between sneezes. So I said,"Margaret, I have a GREAT idea. Tell 'them' that YOU have to BRING me the form b/c ...uh..I'm too stupid to know how to fill it out. BUT THEN, YOU go HOME! She was so cute," I like that idea. You should be my neighbor." I started to giggle and she said,"Bet you sing." I had the hiccups and she kept sneezing. Great lady. When folks make phone calls, I think they often forget that the person is not LOOKING at them, just 'reading' their tone of voice. Mom taught us,"It's not what you say, it's how you say it." ~ ok, I'm done :) Curbie

OMGosh ~ When I went to KMart to buy herbs, I saw these big brimmed hats. As we all know, there are WAY too many hats in our household. I was in the checkout and the cashier said,"PUT it ON, Ma'am!" The security guard at the front entrance said,"now....that .....well....that...well....it is windy...so..." The LADY security guard said,"People are allowed to look stupid. Leave her alone. LOOK AT US ~ we sit here all day and find a crook!" They obviously have been friends for a long time. When she said,"ARE YOU GOING to check her receipt?" , he said," No, she can wear it out of the store, but STOP yelling at me. I<<< can see the tag on it!" So of course I must heckle ~ "I stole my herbs:) " Nothing like a trip to KMart. :) MTM delivers mail there ~ Good thing he's off tomorrow ~ DO YOU KNOW WHO WAS HERE YESTERDAY? Curbie :)

That is true. The tone of voice is much more important when you can't be seen. It was windy here today also. I was out for a little while to run some errands. I mailed a couple of parcels. I told Miss Dorothy a couple of weeks ago I would send her some salsa. So she will get the package in two or three days. The other parcel was to my cousin in Ft. Worth. We had talked (e-mail) about sourdough buttermilk biscuits and I told her I would send her some starter. The starter is actually dried flakes of the starter that I have and I keep them in the freezer. It just takes 4 or 5 days using one of those flakes to get a batch of starter going. But I also included a bag of sourdough buttermilk biscuits that I made especially so she could taste what they are like. That way, if she doesn't care to try to make them, she at least knows what they are supposed to taste like. They were frozen when I boxed them up and I set one aside to eat later. But someone else apparently wanted it too as it disappeared.

My day didn't go as planned yesterday, but it was fun. My neighbor behind me had an electrical problem and asked if I would take a look at it. The diagnosis was easy, but it took me awhile to get it fixed. He had a 240 volt circuit that wasn't working. I have really good neighbors and this guy is a great one.

That is true. The tone of voice is much more important when you can't be seen. It was windy here today also. I was out for a little while to run some errands. I mailed a couple of parcels. I told Miss Dorothy a couple of weeks ago I would send her some salsa. So she will get the package in two or three days. The other parcel was to my cousin in Ft. Worth. We had talked (e-mail) about sourdough buttermilk biscuits and I told her I would send her some starter. The starter is actually dried flakes of the starter that I have and I keep them in the freezer. It just takes 4 or 5 days using one of those flakes to get a batch of starter going. But I also included a bag of sourdough buttermilk biscuits that I made especially so she could taste what they are like. That way, if she doesn't care to try to make them, she at least knows what they are supposed to taste like. They were frozen when I boxed them up and I set one aside to eat later. But someone else apparently wanted it too as it disappeared.

Randy, I just read this post this morning and I am glad I did. I was in the back and the doorbell rang. I was wondering who could possibly be visiting me. It was my postman. Thank you so much for my salsa. I am going to get some chips and have a party of one.lol I am going to share. I may get my youngest daughter to make some enchiladas for mother's day and we can make some pico and guacamole and have homemade salsa. delicious. My mouth is running water just typing this. Thank you very much. You are an angel.

May I please have a chip, Dor? Randy, an angel...I would like to her MF's comments :)

Attachments

• papercat.jpg
    papercat.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 243
  • bouncing tigger.jpg
    bouncing tigger.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 242
  • Picturefrom Julie 114.jpg
    Picturefrom Julie 114.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 240
I think MF would look askance if she heard someone refer to me as an angel. LOL Now, Miss Dorothy, you stated you liked a 'medium' salsa and there is one there. But the one that is labeled Fiona's Recipe is mild and has no hot peppers in it at all. It does have lots of various sweet peppers in it though. The third one is a 'medium/hot'. I included that one because 'hot' is relative and to one person it may be hot but to another it isn't. I took a couple of pints of the medium/hot to a meeting a couple of weeks ago and there were a number of people that kept coming back for more. But I am also sure that a few of them at least, did not take more than a bite. The recipe for Fiona's Mild Salsa will be on that disk I sent some time back. But if you really want to get specific on the other two, I will probably have to post the recipes and they may vary some from previous recipes on the disk. I number every batch of salsa and document the recipe on my computer though and I can tell you the exact recipe if you want them.

When my youngest daughter got home from work last night Randy she wanted to know who the salsa belonged to on the cabinet. To me why do you ask?. I just love homemade salsa she toldl me and so does Tyler (my 9 year old grandson). Did Tyler see this today? No he didn't. She asked who I got them from, I told her and that I have your recipes. I know she wanted some but not before I opened them first. lol

oooooo.....someone sounds EXACTLY like me. "Don't you TOUCH that!" I don't share well but I did share some jam last night with Mike to top his Klondike with. If I offer, that's one thing. If you take it, THAT'S A WHOLE different ballgame. 'Pittsburgh' comes out VERY quickly. :) Hope all have a pleasant weekend and Happy Early Mother's Day to those who are Mom's. ~ Curbie :)

My son and his wife will arrive sometime tonight from California. Linda has a one-track mind where I am concerned. She has already asked if I had some salsa. I never did get my fifth batch made, so I will probably start with that recipe when I get in gear again. It's another "mild" recipe, but it does have a few hot peppers in it just so you know they are there.

How nice to have the company :) I could be in cahoots with her ~ look, I'll find the chips and YOU find the salsa. All we're doing is helping ~ SNACKS :) LOOK what WE brought ~ chips and salsa :) :) ~ Curbie

I did that for a group meeting a couple of weeks ago. I took a large bag of tortilla chips and two pints of salsa. I think I took the medium/hot salsa for that occasion. They went through one pint and about halfway through the second one. I left the remainder with the host though. He told me he would take care of it. LOL

So glad your son is going to be visiting you. Fiona posted it on FB, I know it's been awhile since he's been home. Have an awesome time with your son Randy.

Thank you, Laurie. He could be arriving any time now. We had an offer from a couple to cater our Mother's Day dinner today. It promises to be quite an event as Andrew was a chef before taking up a sales career.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back