The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

We had a couple of farm broadcasters on our local radio station years ago, Whip Robinson, Arnold Feltcher and Homer Quann who got bored one morning on their show and came up with the idea to sell pre-dug post holes. Boy did they have a ball with that for weeks. Now Randy and Peggy.... all ya need to do is go down to your local farm supply store and get you a couple of those predug holes..... save you a whole lot of time and back breakin labor. The big chains don't carry them tho, they don't like the mess they leave on the floor.... you gotta go to a locally owned store to find them.... they are perishable and need to be kept refrigerated.

Wes, that is hysterical. We have a local farm store and that would really be funny to try that on the young gal at the cash register. I did something like that once at a Radio Shack store in Ohio. I asked this young lady if she had any film for digital cameras. I couldn't keep a straight face though. If we had a farm program with guys like that on it, I would be a regular listener for sure. I love that kind of humor.

Thats hillarious treeman...:D
Yep...Shiney we had such fun and I just can't wait to watch it come to life again...
We had such fun last night at the birthday party... I was about to bust trying to keep the surprise party secret...
It was pretty here today...almost 60 but now there is snow and freezing rain in the air...
Tonight for supper I grilled us steak, baked potato, marinated mushrooms, homade yeast rolls, and a bottle of cliffs favorite wine...
Peg

Hi Kids just dropped in to say g'day to you all, been a while.......I'll put my feet up and set a spell very soon...hope you're all doing well...John

We had a couple of farm broadcasters on our local radio station years ago, Whip Robinson, Arnold Feltcher and Homer Quann who got bored one morning on their show and came up with the idea to sell pre-dug post holes. Boy did they have a ball with that for weeks. Now Randy and Peggy.... all ya need to do is go down to your local farm supply store and get you a couple of those predug holes..... save you a whole lot of time and back breakin labor. The big chains don't carry them tho, they don't like the mess they leave on the floor.... you gotta go to a locally owned store to find them.... they are perishable and need to be kept refrigerated.

And could this item would be found next to the board straightener and can of striped paint???:D

Hi Kids just dropped in to say g'day to you all, been a while.......I'll put my feet up and set a spell very soon...hope you're all doing well...John[/QUOTE

Hi Mr John what an astonishing surprise seeing you drop by... Tickles me..
I have missed your input and all your wonderful pics...
Welcome to the Garden Forums John... Really good to see you...

I miss Gramps too...now he could liven up a thread...nothing boring about him.
The last he emailed me he said he was pretty active with all the grandbabies... I can sure see him doing that...They are the pride and joy of his life... I will never forget I thought he was an old man cause his user name was gramps and all...then he sent me his albums and here he was a younger than me man with seven grandchildren loaded on top of him just a smiling... A true character he is...
Peggy

I miss gramps too. I really enjoyed talking with him. i had emailed him awhile back but the email I had for him didn't exist anymore. :( I've tried not to bug John too much to come here. LOL :p:D Need his summer pics to keep us warm though the winter. :D I remember our virtual trip to see John a few winters ago....lol
Hopefully he will find his cable. I lost mine and went out and got a card reader as none of the local electronic stores had the cable

So glad to see John!! This has really turned into a wonderful homecoming. Seems gramps just lost the inclination to post...I've been there...you know how life gets in the way. I still have all the bushes he sent me and I smile to look at them.

I have torn my house up. Stripping wallpaper, painting...oooh what a restless girl.

Enjoy the day.

Shine are you going to rehang paper or paint the walls. I use to paper anything that stood still long enough--- I loved that stuff lol. Now I am more into painted walls -- it's cheaper and you can change it more often. Have fun Dear.

Natalie has been absent for a few days too. I just finished a book that is volume 1 of a 4-volume set by Theodore Roosevelt. The name of the books are "Winning The West". What brought it to mind is that the settling of Kentucky was a big part of the first volume. The books were written close to 140 years ago, but they still are very interesting to be able to read that much detail about that.

Good to be back ladies, hopefully I'll be able to post a little more often. Great to see familiar and friendly faces again. Sounds like you've all been busy and leading very productive lives. There's so much happening here at the moment it's hard to find time to post but I'll do my best lol. Peggy your place is still a credit to you, just beautiful! Shiney you can come and paint my place any time lol. Randy I started to read those books many years ago, I also found out, as you said, that there were 4 volumes, then I discovered girls.......priorities rule you know!

Shiney
When you are done at your house, you can come help me paint my house.I want to repaint all the iniside but haven't been able to do it with all my hand and elbow problems and can't afford to hire someone to come in and do it for me. It will get done someday.
Good luck and what colors are you painting what rooms?

Last edited:
I am enjoying reading them, John. My girl problem was solved a little over 53 years ago, or maybe they started then. It's hard to remember. LOL

Gloria you'r a hoot dear lady..

Shine girl I don't envy you at all... but you will enjoy it all when you finish it..

I will probably wish I had some help when I get finished painting, and I haven't even started yet... I have ceiling to do and kitchen, dining room and hall way walls.. I want to get that out of the way before we put the wood floor down in dining room and hall way... then i am doing ceramic tile in the kitchen and definitely want to do that before Cliff and I install the new cabinets, island, bar, corner cabinets ---those are being built now...I chose a medium hickory for the cabinets, I want to do grapes and wine bottles for border in my kitchen and don't know the color I will paing....I have apples and fruit paper now...but just want to do border and paint walls...just haven't decided how to pull it together yet... I am thinking sage green..in dining and hall way.... When I get ready to do this I am calling the kids and tell them I am having a paint party... They are all pretty good painters and don't mind helping out.

Laurie I feel for ya gal....I hope I never have to be in that position.to not do for myself..I hate like asking for help...if I were closer I would help ya out.

"Winning The West" sounds very interesting but I haven't read it or heard of it. Right now I am reading "Rose" by Rose Kennedy... She was definitely the backbone and driving force in that family..

Hope you all have a wonderful day... Just got back from Mass and now going to throw a meatloaf together for lunch, along with green beans and potatoes seasoned with ham hock, and mashed potatoes... Another one of cliffs favorite meals.
Peggy

Shiney
When you are done at your house, you can come help me paint my house.I want to repaint all the iniside but haven't been able to do it with all my hand and elbow problems and can't afford to hire someone to come in and do it for me. It will get done someday.
Good luck and what colors are you painting what rooms?

Paint the inside of my house is something I need to do this year. Would rather take a beating than get ready to paint.

Peggy, I grew up in Texas and they made sure that we were given ample doses through school in Texas history. I'm sure I have forgotten much of it by now, but I also remember a fair amount. But being from that area, you would probably enjoy those books too. If you are ever interested, I would think your public library would have them available.

Holy Cow!!! Looks like I could start up a painting business!! One of my CabinGirls does a lot of side jobs...I'll send her to all the cold places...but...JOHN...I think I better come do the painting at your place...wink..wink.

I hate to prepare to paint. I am sloppy; I paint a lot of me. I am impatient. But I do alright, I guess. If you leave the lights off when i'm done it looks pretty good.:p

Laurie, I feel ya about the arm pain.(Ha... AND not affording stuff!!) I have tennis elbow and it's not a pleasant job.

Swindy, totally agree about going nuts with wallpaper for a while. It's paint for me now, too. Except my bathroom...I am putting a textured paper to hide panel joints and then I will paint...probably a very slight tinge of lavendar. I think lavendar. Yunno..it's hard to even find wallpaper anymore. Several stores told me everything is special order now since it is just not as popular.

I already painted the room AJ moved out of. It was steel gray and was real fun to cover. It is now a warm tan. Maroon, tan and sage green accents. Waiting on Peggy to sleep in there.

The room I just stripped got painted semi-gloss white...I intend to accent in black as this will be my office. I have one wall I want to paint a sort of grid on...we'll see how that goes. And a fluorescent light fixture. I want it "cold" and bright in there. To keep me awake.

I have the paper stripped off my back hall but it needs some spackle, etc. Then I will paint it a very light blue, almost white. Need to brighten it up.

My living room is one of my favorite...first painted flat tan and then "striped" with 5" stripes of the same color in semi-gloss. Looks really nice. A lot of work with all the taping of the stripes.

NATALIE....come see us.

Expecting a snowstorm tonight. Whoopee. Somebody get me a snowmobile.

I need to do some painting myself. In my master bedroom the prior owners used some grass straw wallpaper on three walls. I need to remove it and possibly repair the sheetrock. I have the paint already. My arms are pretty weak and I have some pain so I will have to do one wall at a time. The master bedroom is getting the same color paint. I had the vanity built so I need to paint it maybe a high gloss white. After I am finished I will tackle my office/sewing room. One of the walls has some wallpaper that is in pretty good shape so I will repair, prime and then paint it. Then on to the floors. Carpeting for my bedroom and engineering or laminate for my office. I sure hope my son comes so he can help me. I cut and get everything for him and he installs since I can't get on my knees since the knee replacement. I got a get dead on some bamboo but a prior contractor destroyed the installation of the floors. I have about 80 sq ft left and would like to put it down somewhere. Maybe the office after all but it is glue down and I haven't done that application before. Guess I need to read up on that.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back