Tomatoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Yes, that's it. She was fully grown when we got her along with 13 other hens. That was 9 years ago.

I have been making alot of Bruchetta this weekend. I have been toasting the bread and putting provolone or mozarella cheese on the and letting it nice and bubbly in the broiler and the puttin the tomatoe mixture on top of it. It is so good!

Blue, you are right basil goes with tomatoes. I am making more today!

My tomatoes are slowing down. I haven't had a lot of time to really take car of them. My fault. It has been so hot I just don't want to be out. I think that I have learned alot this year though. I will work on things better come spring.

I have vines loaded with green tomatoes and I have brought in about ten ripe ones. The nights are cooling off and things are not looking good for the tomatoes.

This has been our best year ever for maters! I've been giving them away, eating them everyday, have a big bowl of ripe ones on the counter, loads of pink ones on the vines and hundreds of green ones! there are at least a dozen ripe every single day! We've been eating lot's of mater, onion and parsley sandwhich's, tomatoe bocacini salad (with fresh basal from the garden too) putting tomatoes in everything I can think of.....They are the early girls.... that and tons of cherry tomatoes. The Oregon Spring plant I tried out has only given me 2 ripe tomatoes so far and both had rotten bottoms! :( our son has Patio Prize that are producing a lot like the early girls I have, but the plants are so stout and bushy instead of long and lanky like the early girls. We are going to move a few inside my hubby's shop when it gets cold. He has a huge south facing window, and since they are in 5 gallon buckets they'll be easy to move. Even if it only helps ripen some of the green ones already on the vines we should have maters for a long time this winter!

I have one small tom left and I am not sure it will make it. We have had so much rain I think I am going to just cover the whole garden as though it was winter. That way I can build my soil and maybe get a fall garden in.

My tomatoes aren't doing well right now either. I picked a few sweet 100's yesterday but they were quite hard. I am sure that is because I haven't been watering them as I should have. I am going to pull up some of my larger tomato plants and get my soil ready for my fall garden too CG. My sweet 100's will bear until the first frost. I have had so much going on the last month that I have just slacked off on my watering. I will pick it up.

Well. 2 weeeks ago, I ripped my 2 meazly plants out and said,"Well.....somebody will give me some, I hope." And daggone, yesterday, hanging on the front door, was a bag with 12 tomatoes in it from a friend of mine who lives in a single family house. A family of 3 and only he will eat them ~ oh I love those 2 who won't eat them :)

My Maters

This is what I got off 2 plants today. This year has been the best and biggest tomatoes I have ever had. I took about 1/3 of them and made juice, got 9 quarts. The rest are not ripe enough yet.

Attachments

• maters.jpg
    maters.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 293
It seems our whole area is having similar happenings. We have great looking plants with loads of green tomatoes and very few ripe ones. I have blossom end rot on some of the plants too. I was afraid that I had put too much calcium in the soil around the plants.

HOLY cow ~ that's a LOT of maters! I don't know how to make tomato juice. Is it like going to the grocery store and buying V-8? :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back