What birds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I think I have seen cowbirds here, but I'm not sure. I know they are hard on bluebirds. They will lay eggs in a bluebird nest and kick out the bluebird eggs. They leave the parenting up to the bluebirds.

The cow bird and the grackle look the same just different color heads. The grackle has a shiny blue head and slightly larger than the cow bird. Grackles are the ones that lay eggs in other nests and kick out the other birds eggs. I found this out about a month ago. I thought they were the same bird until a vet pointed out all the birds I had in my yard. I wish I could remember the name of one bird he told me about. The bird visits once a day and is very pretty, he said he had 2 that came to his feeders but you don't see them very often around here. This bird has a white belly with a red chest, is black and has white spots on his back and has a different shaped beak. It looks like it bends down a little.

HEHEHE.
Yesterday on my way to work I saw this head pop up from the tall grass beside the road. I knew what it was , the only thing was I didn't know how many. 4 hens and 27 babies. By the ime I got my camera out they were kind of scattered. But what a way to start the morning. Just thinking about it I have a smile on my face. I have more pics but not enough time to edit and post them. maybe later

Attachments

• chicks.JPG
    chicks.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 275
  • hens & chicks.JPG
    hens & chicks.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 314
  • turkey.JPG
    turkey.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 284
What are these CG? I have an Audubon reference book and even if I'm not at the beach, I think,"I had no idea how many varieties of seagulls there are." We mostly have cardinals and sparrows, Carolina wrens (who really know how to put on eyeliner), bluejays. Once in a while goldfinches and hummers and whatever the cats drag in ~ Curb

Turkeys! Bronze backs. They are so cool. You can actually make wild pets out of them. When my neighbor rattles a garbage can they come running. He keeps the feed in the can. When they see his truck they follow it looking for their food.

My daughter and I saw a flock of turkeys...seriously...crossing a road on the way to my sister's once and the male got out on the road and did his I'M IN CHARGE HERE tap dance with feathers flared and he truly did stop traffic. He let his females and peeps cross and NOBODY honked their horns, we were all very respectful and in AWE ! "THIS guy knows how to take care of HIS family!"

Attachments

• cropped for GG (2).jpg
    cropped for GG (2).jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 272
I just saw my first non-frozen, non-Butterball turkey several weeks ago. I didn't recognize it as a turkey because it was just sort of standing there doing nothing. Then again, this old city girl gone country thought a hog and a pig were the same thing and were supposed to all be PINK!

I walked outside last night about 10:30 and something large swooped so close to me that I could hear the air under it's wings. I couldn't tell what it was. Husband said probably a bat but it was much, much larger than that! I wonder if it could have been an owl.

Check this out...I happened to look up at the purple martin gourds one evening last week and saw a poor little baby hanging on for dear life (or stuck). I ran for the camera while my husband ran for a ladder and managed to get two shots off before a male martin came up and pushed the baby back into the gourd. Amazing sight to see. I put one of the pictures under "wildlife" in the photo gallery. It's not a great quality shot but sure is unusual!

LOL, Palmetto! Owls are the most silent predators. We used to have one that sat on our fence at night and scared the bejeepers outta my daughter (who was going out to smoke) but we got used to him. Huge wing span but simply silent, not like Canada geese. Your pic is great. Moral of that story is: Never argue with Mom, son! Now we're BOTH in trouble! Someone gave me a gourd house but I haven't ever hung it. What kinds of birds nest in it? ~ Curb

I imagine anything could go in there if the opening and habitat was right for the species. This year there is a sparrow but it's the first time I've seen anything other than the purple martins (and one corn snake last year) in the gourds. We take the gourd pole down each year after the martins leave to clean the gourds and the martin house, so it's not up year round.

myfedora, I think you have that backwards. Cowbirds are the ones that lay their eggs in other birds' nests. Grackles can be a pain when they flock, but otherwise are of the mostly harmless variety.

Once there were some grackles trying to chase some other birds off a tray feeder I had. A dove was on the feeder, and she put her wings back and puffed her chest in that pose cartoons always show the "peace dove" in. Well, this one wasn't feeling so peaceful, and she ran across the feeder and smacked into the grackle with her chest. He fell off the feeder and flew away.

Myfedora, I thought I had a picture in my computer of a rose-breasted grosbeak. But that sounds like the bird you are describing. We don't have the rose-breasted one here in Oregon, but we do get the Evening Grosbeak and the Black-headed Grosbeak. They arte beautiful birds.

Can't remember if I posted the pick of the Painted bunting or not. What a beautiful bird. If I didn't I'll do it tomorrow. They printed that pic in our local paper.

The rose-breasted grosbeak it is Randy. Thanks and now I am going to write that down so I don't forget! I just wish I had a better camera so I could get pictures. Maybe one of these days.

Injured baby cardinal

Had a bird to fly into my window this morning and went to look and it was a baby cardinal. I went and got gloves on and put it in a basket to give it time to recover. Well time went by and I think it broke a leg. I called a bird place that will take it but not until tomorrow. It has eaten 4 small worms and is drinking water from a lid. I'm not sure if I need to get up in the night to feed it though. I am going to put in on my night stand so if it starts making noises I will see if it will eat.

Attachments

• cardinal.jpg
    cardinal.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 276
  • cardinal1.jpg
    cardinal1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 286
Cardinals eat seeds. It may also eat bread that is in a dish of milk. I used to raise 1/2 dead sparrows. Wow, you have a bird place close by. Amazing. Now, this does not apply to this situation b/c it was outside but Randy gave me the BEST advice years ago: Everything goes towards light. At night, with lights on, things come in. During the day, close the blinds and they will fly right out. (I tend to have the doors open.) It works. Good luck and let us know how this goes.

Oh, PS.....if that bird grabs your finger (and this HAS happened to me as one came out of a 'coma' it hurts like bejeepers. I walked around the yard with this cardinal attached to my finger, talking to it, trying to fling it off, cussing at it ~ my finger was blue. I couldn't pry it's beak open b/c I only had one hand but that's why they have those powerful beaks, to open seeds. ~

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back