What birds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I will bring a story from the magazine to the dinner table in the evening when I find one that is especially applicable. The conversation around the table at dinner is usually pretty lively anyway.

Kya D, I love to BUY books but I think in my life (other than textbooks and children's books) I have totally read 4. I just consider myself a 'collector'. Being ADD and poor eyesight play a role in it, too. These little peeps are so precious. I love all critters, even the chipmunk who the cat brought in, who climbed right up the inside of the leg of my jeans. I don't think I ever laughed so hard in my life.~

"Inside" your pants!!!!
I love your avitar "Little Flower" is so sweet, when we were kids we ALWAYS had skunks as pets they are just the best pets and really loving.

I was quite surprised and then didn't have a clue what to do b/c now the cat was staring at me b/c I had this chippy in my pants. I called my neighbor and asked her to come over and she did. When I told her what was going on.....she went right back home, saying,"I hate rats AND cats and I'm not helping you." I learned that chipmunks can also jump VERY far.~

Wow, I can't imagine not reading. I usually have more than one book going at time. One by the bed to read before I go to sleep, and one by the sofa. I read the newspaper, and devour science articles on line. I need to use the library more, but I want to keep my books, too.

To get back to the birds, I had to stop putting a fern on the front porch because the house finches would always build a nest in it. I didn't mind sharing my ferns, but I worried about the cat getting the babies as they left the nest.

I was told that if you leave the old nest in an area, the birds won't build there again, so I've had a Carolina Wren nest in my backroom for about 4 years now. It seems to work, no more wren nests in the tool box or behind the chainsaw.

Oh yes, there are lots of Carolina wrens around, just none nesting in my back room. Lots of house finches, too, just not on my front porch.

I rescued a sparrow one time when I was about 9 y/o. (My Mom was very patient with me.) I put it into a bird cage we just HAPPENED to have around. She said,"Now, if you name it, it will never go away." So I named it Chipper and took care of this bird for about 3 months. One day, Mom said,"You HAVE to let him go" so we went out to the backyard. He hopped onto my finger and I, in tears, flung him out of the cage. He flew away, came right back and, hopped into his cage so then I simply exercised him. He lived quite a while.

My wife bought me an almost complete set of "The Complete Works of Theodore Roosevelt". They were written over a hundred years ago, but I really have enjoyed them. They do get a little tedious at times, but if I don't read everything, I fear I will miss something really important. I think I have completed 9 volumes and I have 3 to go.

The babies are so cute.
I guess that just shows how old I am huh Kale
*LOL...

Curbhopper..is this you:rolleyes: my long MIA gardening pal from GG !?

I suspect it is :D:D Even if wrong..Howdy!:D:D
And how bless you were indeed that the bird came back!
That must have been a wonderful time in your life:D:D

As far as birds..I have a stray cat that thinks she loves me or something.She keeps bringing me birds:(:(:(:( I dont know what to do with her:eek: I like her and she is a nice kitty (kitten about 4months old) but I can't deal with the gifts she brings home...I try to crate her all during the day but...she seems to get a bird no matter what time she is released.
She will not stay in she is slick ans sneaky and fast.I brought it to several neighbors attention.Nobody seems to help,they like her but don't want her in their house..She sleeps on my bed or study chair but I can't keep track of her, just too slick for busy me.:(
As far as reading, I read, besides the bible, gardening related stuff, mostly references.anything to do with Botany, ponding bugs, insects etc.
I truly love to read as long as I am learning.
My sister has read hundreds of love stories*LOL She has many series of her fav authors*lol Where she finds time I will never know.

Catch you all soon..
I have been packed solid with all the volunteer work and my own designing and planting etc..

Missed you.
Kale:)

BUSTED ! Tis me, Kale. I have 3 cats and trust me, I spend times beating them over the head to release the mole they have so I can let it go again. One year, I was out wandering the ngihborhood at all hours returning baby rabbits to their home. I gave up getting dressed so I just went in my jammies with the dog and the cat and the bunny. I SWEAR that cat was saying,"But mom, this is SO much fun!" The birdlettes should be flying the coop soon. I was supposed to quarantine my cat for 6 months and that lasted 3 days. Nice to see you, too. ~

I have a new robin that we named mohawk. He has feathers that stand on top of his head. He follows us around the yard. Yesterday hubby was tilling a spot for the new morning glory tower and Mohawk jump right in while he was tilling to get the worms. Then this morning I was out mulching around my iris's, he came over and watched me. I went to the other side of the fence to finish mulching over there and not paying attention to Mohawk. When I was done I looked over the fence and half of what I put down Mohawk had already flipped into the yard. Cleaned that up and went to another flower bed to weed it and then to the next one. Decided to fill up the feeders and went around the corner of the house and there is Mohawk flipping out the mulch again! My hubby said "That bird just ain't right." "There's something wrong with that bird." Then when I did finally get the feeder filled Mohawk let me know there was no water in the bird bath. He landed in it and started making noises. Once I filled that up he was happy. I feel like we adopted another kid I gotta clean up after! LOL

We already love mohawk he sounds so cute and demanding. So Fedora you should keep him happy after all he is your new son..:) :)
Too Funny :D

ANybody who NAMES a robin, Mohawk, "just ain't right." OMG, I am LMAO. This reminds me so much of my little Chipper. YOU will have a friend for life. I predict you will begin to talk to Mohawk and scold him. "When have you BEEN? Do you know how worried I was about you!" Your hubby just may have you institutionalized :) :) :) ~

Well today my neighbor seen mohawk and he asked what kind of bird is that? I said robin and he goes don't look like a robins head. I told him about the feathers standing up on his head made him look different. He said it was a strange looking robin. Then later when I was planting more flowers in the front my hubby comes up and says, Where is mohawk, I have only seen him once this morning. He went looking for him and found him in the garden. Hubby is going to be the one in the institution. LOL I will get a picture of Mohawk tomorrow.

Would love to see a pic of Mohawk. I could probably become friendly with the deer and have one or two as pets but no thanks, they have been helping themselves to my plants and I'm not a happy camper. Now a bird, I would adopt as my kittes are inside all the time now

Oh, MG ~ I take the dog to a creek and there are usually deer there and I became especially fond of one. So I began to take apples to the creek in hopes of seeing her. She began to start to wait for me, at my 'apple patch'. With the dog tied to a tree, I got her to eat out of my hand but then she scared the bejeepers outta me when she snorted and ran away. The dog was attacked by a deer one day in the same area but we didn't know she was protecting her fawn. I love deer ~ and dear people. ~

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back