My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Nancie I've used the cage method and it works well for me too. I used sugarcane mulch as it's cheap and plentiful here. This year I managed two crops of different spuds, Dutch Cream and Kipfler, both were yummy!
I'm preparing a couple of my beds for the winter and autumn veggies now, with plenty of compost and a mix of well rotted cow, horse and poultry manure. Should be able to start planting my strawberry runners too in about a week, if the rain holds off for a while!

I am going to put in some onion sets this week, it is supposed to be lovely today and tomorrow. My neighbor and I are making our first garden center trip today...we are starting the preseason warmup!!

Trax
Very cool science lab. I want to use this with my grandkids. I never knew you could use cabbage. Thanks for posting that.

John
South Florida had a big sugar cane industry when I was a kid. It has since been reduced since the sugar barons were done away with . Anyway, Sugarcane mulch sounds interesting. I have never heard of it before.

Jill
Have fun at the garden center! Wish I was going, even though I don't need anything, I am sure I could find something I just had to have :p

Last edited:
I am waiting to plant fleurs b/c I do believe....we will be getting some snow. I understand it sounds stupid but this winter has been WAY too warm. I just have an inkling. Like when you already know your kid fell at school? You know what I've always wanted to plant is garlic. Has anybody ever done that? Curbz

Great idea Josh!
Thanks for sharing your ph lab with use!

Curbie, plant your garlic now and it will be ready for harvest in the fall!

I am so ready for spring....today is 70ish high but lately up and down temps. Heavy frost earlier in the week.

Thanks , Ron.I got up this morning and had shorts on and MTM said," Well, you're going to be cold." Well, the winds whipped up and sure enough....I got cold. I have this big project I'm trying to get accomplished in the house so I thought I'd be warm. Nope. I sat down in a chair and fell soundly asleep with a cat on my lap. Y'all are making me feel like a bum so I went outside and planted some seeds. I came back in and the cat crawled up again and somebody fell asleep again. My allergies are not very happy these days so I'm UP and then I'm down and then I'M UP and then I'm down. MTM is very good about this. My eyes swell. I sneeze like an idiot. I feel like human water balloon. :) Have to enojy spring anyway. Crocuses and daffs are blooming. :) Curbie

Curbie, ron is right, plant some garlic. I usually palnt 15-20 then I can have garlic all year long. I go through about a large size bulb a month sometime more.

I will try to remember to take picture of my egg babies before I plant them.. they have out grown their shels and are about 4- 5 inches tall. All the ones started in pots need to be planted too. With this warm weather I wish I had just direct seeded them....but you never really know, do you?
I had the tiller tire repaired so I am ready to RIP up some new garden space. I can't wait... but then I guess I have to. LOL!

Trax

John
South Florida had a big sugar cane industry when I was a kid. It has since been reduced since the sugar barons were done away with . Anyway, Sugarcane mulch sounds interesting. I have never heard of it before.

Nancie iit's a great mulch and very nutricious for the soil. I get it from a couple of local organic farms and it's pretty cheap

My poor egg babies! We had a bad rain storm Friday before I got home. 1/2 my baby toms got washed out and pounded into the ground :( Most of them are ok but about 1/3 of them are a lost :(

I can commiserate with you Nancie that happened to me a few times this summer and it's really annoying! Hope the little guys that survived do ok for you.

Thanks John.

These are the egg babies that look the best out of what is left. They were all doing this good before the rain storm. They were planted 1/17/12. I need to get them in the ground this week. the ones in pots are ready too. I planted several specialty tomatoes including a white "snowball", chocolate cherries, Black krimms and yellow and red brandy wine, orange whoppers, green zebras, and several yet to be sown. I can't wait for them to produce. I have given away a ton of starts to my kids and a couple local garden buds.
Also the new section of the garden. I can't wait to get home and plant. I really need to weed the other side , finish harvesting the rutabagas and get that growing for spring.The arugula and cilantro are kicking it really well. So much to do so little time :D That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Attachments

• 009 (800x532).jpg
    009 (800x532).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 007 (800x532).jpg
    007 (800x532).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 236
  • 010 (800x532).jpg
    010 (800x532).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 238
Wow Nancie looks like you're going to have a bumper crop if the rain behaves itself. You've got plenty of land to play with as well. I've never grown snowball but I have grown black krimm and green zebras, both were really sweet. I had to think hard about rutabagas, they're known as swedes here, arugula is rocket and cilantro is coriander.;)

I was looking at them yesterday wondering where I was going to put them all. I have a couple places around outside the garden I might try planting. However between the dogs, the deer, and the squirrels, I might be hard pressed to produce any fruits. I have my doubts about the snowballs, I had never even heard of them until this year. We shall see what happens. I always over plant, just my insecutiries about production. At least that way I have plenty to share;)

I invested in some bird netting a while ago and it seems to work with all my "locals". The possums and bats hate it as they get tangled in it when they try and get to my goodies in their beds and on the trees. My cats don't go anywhere near it either for the same reason!

I have some netting, and that's a good idea. But I too get all tangled up in it:p LOL!
I harvested about 1/2 of my rutabagas last night. I had no idea I had so many. I cut the tops and took them to the soup kitchen this morning. They were so happy to get them.I will can the roots tonight when I get home.

Attachments

• Harvest1 (800x530).jpg
    Harvest1 (800x530).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 217
  • harvest2 (530x800).jpg
    harvest2 (530x800).jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 213
  • harvest3 (800x533).jpg
    harvest3 (800x533).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 226
That's why I gave them away. I just couldn't face canning all of them. They were starting to wilt this morning, they wouldn't have been for canning by the time I get home tonight. I still have that many more in the garden:eek:

Great harvest there Nancy and that's only half of them?:eek: lol. Oh yeah I understand all about getting tangled in the bird netting:rolleyes: I just didn't mention it:D. I'll be planting my winter veg soon but I'm still waiting for my summer crops ( snake beans, chillies, pumpkin and melons to finish.

I think I am over the rutabagas and turnips for a while. Not sure when I will want to harvest the rest. I put up 7qts of roots. and I have some in the fridg to eat fresh.

I palnted all the tomatoes and pepers starts this weekend. My beans are up and so is the corn. Squash looks good and the cilantro and parsley are making a second round. The arugula is seeding for a second roud also. Looks like it will be a good season if I can keep it all watered.

If you don't here from me....look in the bird netting in the garden. I may need a rescue :p

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back