My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Tomatoes are doing great and getting larger. The peppers are producing fruit now and there are a dozen or so at 1" size! Need to give them all a good shot of fertilizer next week!
The zucs and squash seedlings are settling in an are starting to put on growth.
I pulled the white skin onions yesterday and now are curing, They should be ready to clean and then bag them for storage next week.
The yellow and green beans are struggling, but will sow more next week! Hopefully they will take off once we get some good soaking rains! Looks like they will be a late summer and fall crop!

Our beans are finally growing now that we fenced them off from the bunny who found them delish! Now the bunny sits outside the fencing and looks in sadly...

Let the bunny in. Be a good sport. You can always put the bunny back outside the fence again. Pick it up by the scruff of it's neck and throw it back outside the fence. We had a rabbit that we bought at the county fair and Timothy grew into this HUGE chinchilla rabbit. He could ripe your arms open if you held him wrong. His hind paws were about 5 inches long and HE could do damage. Thank goodness, Timothy liked us! Curbie

We have a rabbit in the barn and he likes to be cuddled. Mya had one before and she liked to bite you. I try to take a snack in for Buddy when I go in the barn. He loves blackberry leaves. And we have loads of blackberry vines.

Curbster, I waited a month for the beans to grow because the danged bunny ate them every chance he could. I need to get some beans before frost! Now I am buying them because I love fresh beans. Sorry bunny, go somewhere else.

I have a farmer friend that grows beans and corn and he told me I could get those from him since I didn't get mine planted. I would like to get some put away in jars for the coming winter.

My Beans are doing OK, that is they were. There were 5 deer in the garden Friday afternoon. Unusual sight too, a momma and 4 babies. We suspect that one of the momma's may have died.But on Sat , there were 4 babies and 2 mommas.
Here are pictures of one momma with 3 babies. I could never get them all in the same picture.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 004 (800x530).jpg
    004 (800x530).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 254
  • 007 (800x530).jpg
    007 (800x530).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 009 (800x530).jpg
    009 (800x530).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 262
I have a farmer friend that grows beans and corn and he told me I could get those from him since I didn't get mine planted. I would like to get some put away in jars for the coming winter.

My neighbor and I swap veggies. It makes it nice when you have a neighbor willing to share their crop.
Gives a new definition to the term "share cropper";)

I got my beans planted late and they are just starting to bloom, going to plant some more this weekend as I love fresh string beans, i plant the blue lake pole beans i think they are called. I think it was Mr Randy that turned me on to them. Got the seeds last yr for 75% off as I knew they would grow this yr.

I just saw another groundhog, dang, I thought we got rid of that problem!
I like the blue lake pole beans too, that is what I have growing.

I keep reading about pole beans being great but I've had trouble with them in the typical season length around here. Typically I just do bush beans. Will pole beans transplant out well or is there a fast to produce variety to try. I have plenty of space to go vertical for these but ground space is limited around here.

I use the blue lake pole beans and plant the seeds right in the ground and they were up in less than a week and i will plant more this weekend. i'm in zone 5. the pack says 60 days to mature. planting this weekend will be close but hopefully we will have a late frost and not have one until mid oct or later...

I am going to buy new corn tomorrow for fall planting.
My tomatoes that got too much water are putting on new growth and look pretty good. I actually have some heirlooms actually have flowers!
Okra is doing good, beans are done :(

The farmers around here used to do pole beans and then hand-pick them. But about 30 years ago a bean picker was designed for the bush beans and that ended the commercial pole beans. My farmer friend is too generous though and I know there will be a squabble about paying him for any produce I take.

Love the deer family Nancie!
Mr Yan I recall there's a variety that a friend in Alaska used to grow. It was called Marvel of Venice and it was a yellow pole bean. It took only 54 days to mature and was very prolific, hope this helps you out a bit.
I'm currently planting some more spuds and also Jerusalem artichokes. I also grow pole beans mainly snake and purple king as they have a great flavour.

I keep reading about pole beans being great but I've had trouble with them in the typical season length around here. Typically I just do bush beans. Will pole beans transplant out well or is there a fast to produce variety to try. I have plenty of space to go vertical for these but ground space is limited around here.

I have transplanted them with no problems, now that the rabbit can't get in to chew them off every day they are growing like crazy!

Can you order seed for them? The only thing that LOVES to grow here is squash and flowers. I may try the beans. Curbie

Update on zucs and squash!
Planting them later seems to have worked for the butternut squash, but the zucs got attacted by the squash borers.
The squash are setting fruit now and look healthy after suffering through the the extreme temps in July. No sign of squash borers!!!
The zucs: I mounded soil over the crown to encourage secondary rooting and have already harvested 2 fruit. Looks like there will be a lot of them in the coming weeks!
I mounded some soil over the crown on the squash vines too, as wells as a few of the leaf nodes where roots started to form. Hoping for a good crop for the winter months!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Nice healthy plants there Ron! Here's hoping for a great crop. I still have some purple peas flowering and fruiting. It's a little late in the season so I'll probably keep them for seed purposes, to grow next autumn/winter:)

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 255
Beautiful guys!

My garden is shot. The only thing living is the luffas and they look great. Oh I did find a watermelon hiding under them last night. Nice size too.
I have decided to pull eveything out when I get back. Then cover it in my compost , then dump compost( from the dump) then grass clippings I have been stealing from the neighbors garbage. LOL that way come spring it will be nice and loamy.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back