The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Ah, John...what wonderful surroundings you have to look at. I wish Spring would erupt with some intensity here...I want LEAVES on these trees...NOW, darn it.

Laurie, you know I'm thinking of you. I am a sun worshipper and sometimes worry I am pushing my luck.

Peggy..Sprite? Who in the world woulda thunk it?!

Janet, I'm just glad you're back.

I love to see all of you visiting and commenting. I must write you a story soon. I am about to start the cycling again...am sure there will be another canine adventure to document.

Oh John, those are lovely! What are the red things in the bowl?
The dogwoods have started blooming here, and the red osier dogwood has it's new chartreuse green leaves on it...with the red stems...it's one of my favorite plants! there are the wild canaries here that are almost exatly the same shade of green as the new leaves, it's perfect camaouflage for them! My magnolia is in full bloom now too, as well as the ornamental plums. It's really beautiful out now. :) I really must get some pictures up to show!

Oops almost forgot to say to Richnkim.... We are positively itching to get back down to California... we have also fallen victim to the siren song of the sequoias!! lol...here's a pic of me peeking out of the base of one...

Attachments

• DSCF2596.jpg
    DSCF2596.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 269
We saw some little Sequoias on our drive to Inverness the other day. They are still beautiful, but certainly not as impressive as the big ones.

Good Morning Ya'll.
One more day of dogwood winter left and things will be warming up around here this week..to be 80 in just a short few days.. It has been chilly damp the past few days, cloudy, gloomy, rainy.
The daffies have came and gone...hycianth are in full bloom, apple tree is starting to bloom, red plum is blooming, pink and white dogwoods are in bloom, magnolias are blooming, bleeding heart, txas blue bells, grape hycianth, and i have a white blooming everywhere-blub that i don't know what it is.In the sun room amaryalis is putting on a show as well as all the hibiscus.

John awsome job on the rainforest...stunning...I want my gardens to look like that but impossible. Really love the look of some of those plants/bushes you have.. Thanks for sharing pics ......all I can say is WOW man.
The Bavarian cake sounds good for sisters birthday party...Hope you all had fun
I need to check a recipe out for that... I made pineapple meraginue pie to take to the fish fry... Lil sis made kamquat pie....that was a first time trying that...I kinda like the taste for a nice citrus change.
I wrote down all your latest additions so I could do a search on them to looky see what ya have... anything fragrant sounds lovely...attempting to put fragrant in each of my garden beds...I took up the fence around the backyard/pool area...When I finish I hope to create various trellis structures to have climbers.. Still a work in the mind right now..

Hoping you are all having a wonderful week..

Peggy

Hubby and I admired a sequoia at the nursery just this weekend. it was only about 4 foot high and it was $129.!! I wish I had brought back one of the pieces of wood with sprouts on it they sell all over the place down there! next time for sure! Although, the neighbour has one planted only about 10 feet from our property line, it's about 25 feet tall now, so in a few years it should be as good as mine anyway! lol....

Mick and Connie have a flowering dogwood in their front yard that is in bloom now. In my walk around the area today,I saw several Japanese azaleas blooming. We had a couple of those at our last house.

Hello everyone ...

Just a quick hello as I've got to get started packing and have a real bad case of the nerves right now about my trip coming up. I leave Saturday!! And I still have so much to do here before I leave. Work is piling up and there's not enough hours in the day to get it all done and my personal life is in a shambles at the moment ... man, I really need this trip even if it's for work.

I don't know if I'll be able to get to this website or my email from the company laptop that I'll be taking but I know I can get on Facebook so if you want to see any pics I take or email me that's probably the best way to do it.
You have to go to Facebook.com and set up an account first if you don't already have one. I have my security settings so that only "friends" can contact me on there so you will need to send me a friend request first.

I did my shopping last night and am going to make my list of things to pack tonight. I've got last minute errands tomorrow and then start packing for real. I'll get over the jitters once I'm on my flight but in the mean time I'm going crazy!

Okay ... enough for now ... thanks for being my therapy! Catch y'all later ...

Just in....wanted to let everyone know that I am Still alive and Kicking!

its rained so much here that what few days that I do get off I am so tired that I dont really feel like doing much of anything....

the kids are good...growing like the weeds in the yard! lol

trying to get miranda to paint her room in the new place that we are living now...thats like tellin a rock to get up and move!

Courtney got asked to the Prom this year by a lil fella....and she is walking on cloud 9 lol
Miranda and Connor are still living with her Dad but are here more then they are their...

I have new pictures of the kids and will post some as soon as I can....I have a Myspace that has all of the newest pic's on it if you all have that....holler at me sometimes on their.....

http://www.myspace.com/perfect_gold_digger
I got the name from a guy... he called me a gold digger so I went with that..........LOL

gotta go....Love yall!

Natalie, we will be heading home on Saturday morning. Try and remember though that it is wasted emotion to worry about anything you cannot change. We seem to manage to worry about so much happening that never does.

Pineapple Merangue pie!! what a good idea! any chance of a recipe? :)
Yep Smiley I have ya the recipe...

Pineapple Meringue Pie

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 small can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, undrained
3 eggs, seperated
1 tb. butter or margarine
1/2 tsp of tartar
1/3 cup sugar
1 baked pie shell, 9"

In a 2-quart saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, flour, lemon zest and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and undrained pineapple. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat until thickened. Beat egg yolks lightly in a small bowl: blend about 1/2 of the hot mixture. Return egg yolk minture to the hot mixture in saucepan; cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Stir in butter. Pour filling into baked pie shell

Meringue
Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Slowly add 1/2 cup of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over the hot filling, spreading to crust. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes, or until browned to your desire.
Nat have a safe trip and have fun.
Rhonda hello...good to see you... I have often wondered how the kiddos were doing...
Spring is in the air and the sun has filled me with liquid gold...most wonderful feeling..
Good day,
Peggy

That sounds like a yummy pie. Would love for you to add it in the recipe section as well, if you wouldn't mind.

YUMMY!! thankyou PEGGY! I will be trying it this weekend! everyone here's favorite is lemon meringue, and we all LOVE pineapple anything, so this is combining the best of both worlds!! :)

Janet lemon meringue pie is one of my favorite pies as well. But I love pineapple so that pie ought to be fantastic.

Lemon meringue is my favorite too. My mom made one for dinner Sun. I had the last piece last night. I have some fresh pineapple cut up and another one on the counter to cut so maybe I'll try it with fresh pineapple. I just won't have the juice that's in the can. Will have to make it and bring it to work so I don't eat it all. Lost another lb so the drs office said on fri since I went last month for my cholesterol check up. I was surprised as I have not been eating that well since my drs appt. got to get back to eating healthy again and stop the donuts for breakfast that i've had a few times and the ice cream that i have started eating again.
Thanks Peggy for posting the recipe. Yes spring I think is finally here,. had alot of rain the last couple days but suppose to be in the 70-80's for the weekend. daffs are blooming, the few tulips are all budded that have escaped the deer
Nat
Will be thinking of you and like Randy said try not to worry about it all. Everything is going to work out fine and you would of worried for nothing. I know I need to take Randy's advice myself.
Randy
Have a safe drive home. I think I got notified that today is Fiona's birthday on Facebook the other day. Will have to send her a card.
Rhonda
Glad to see you back. I hear ya on the rain. Will check out the pics on facebook
Well everyone i'm off to bed, got to be to work @ 6 as I've got to leave @ 3 to go have a bone density test done.
Hope you all have an awesome day tomorrow. We're suppose to see the sun tomorrow.

Last edited:
Laurie I am curious how the fresh pineapple will do. Please let us know, inquiring minds want to know.

Yep, it is Fiona's birthday. We are not far from where she was born. It was a small hospital in Carmichael, CA. I dropped MF off at the hospital and took our older daughter to Grandma's house in Carmichael and by the time I got back, I had a new daughter.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back