Tomatoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Yes CG I am really learning a lot from everyone. I don't have enough soaker hoses so I turn my hose on slow and lay them down in the bed and let the area get soaked to keep from getting the leaves wet. I was wetting them too much in the beginning. I starting reading more about tomatoes and raising a garden.

My gardener doesn't know when he will be able to bring a load of mulch, so before he comes again I will have to buy some bags so that he can put them in my raised beds. It is just too hot here to hot have mulch.

Sad sad sad. This is what mine look like after all that rain. I just went and stripped all the leaves off in hopes the fruit would mature and maybe the plants will recover. I'm sad
CG, I would be so sad too, how are they doing now? I heard on Sunday that it was the start of hurricane season. My tomatoes have flowers, but nothing else.

Y'all I hate to brag but I picked 3 nice size tomatoes this morning along with 9 cucumbers. It is so exciting!!!

Has anyone heard of putting cracked pecan shells and tiny pieces of the pecans into the holes where you plant your tomaotes? The man that cracked and shelled our pecans this year told us about it and gave us a bag to try. I put the large bag of pecan stuff to only some of our tomatoes. We shall see.

I came home today with my mouth ready for my tomatoes and something had eaten two of them and started on the third one. I don't know what it could be other than birds or the little squirrel in my neighbor's yard a couple houses over. It ate almost all of two of them. Both had two large holes and the third one was not quite ready and something had started on it. I will get the insecticidal soap out again today. I can't believe insects could have done this much damage though.

I could over 35 tomatoes on the vines now. Please can I have just one?

I want to go to Dale's garden.

Dor I am so sorry that you are having these problems. Did the tomatoes have teeth marks or beak marks where a bird pecked it. Don't know what do about that except pick the tomatoes when they just start turning.

I didn't see any Dale. I three them in the yard. I will go back out later and look closer. I will have to start picking them sooner. If not I won't get any. Since I started my deep watering I am getting more tomatoes. I have about seven plants with tomatoes on them now. I have 20 tomato plants. I have four in containers and the rest in raised beds. I have three peppers in containers and about ten in the beds, four cucumbers and three in containers. I planted some more cucumbers but there aren't up yet.

Well it was the birds that got my tomatoes. I found some feathers and some poop on the leaves. I got to start picking them early. I have some coming off tomorrow or Thurday. I picked my first sweet 100 today. I get to eat it

Last edited:
Dor when your tomatoes get bushier it will be harder for the birds to peck your tomatoes. Right now I would pick them when they first start to turn. Sorry the birds got your first tomatoes.

I didn't put cages on my largest tomatoes when I planted them so I caged them later and some of the tomatoes were hanging out. After I chating with you and picked up my daughter from work. I tied all my tomatoes that with hanging down with the big tomatoes. Hopefully now the birds won't be able to get at them so easily but in the meantime I will pick them early until I notice they have stopped. My daughter saw the large Romas when I was tieing them up and she said "umm Romas are we making tomato sauce? I guess we are. We sure I want to can some stewed tomatoes. I bought some quart and pink quarts are Big Lots last months. They were only $5.75 and $6.75. Cheaper than walmart.

I got everything watered really deep except my purplehulls, muskmelons, and sugarbabes. I will get them tomorrow. I am going to get the mulch this week. I don't want all my hard work and good intentions to be in vain by not mulching. I will get the mortor mix too. I wish epsom salt would come in large bags.

Oh noes! Losing that first tomato outta be against the law!

Dor, are you in the part of Texas that's having drought? Usually if the birds go after the tomatoes around here it's for the moisture. A lot of folks suggest putting a bird bath near the vegetable garden so the birds have an alternative.

That's good Blue, Also Dor you can net them with light weight fiberglass screen from the almost any hardware store. It should hang over the plant and down the sides. It's enough to keep birds out;)

CG, I would be so sad too, how are they doing now? I heard on Sunday that it was the start of hurricane season. My tomatoes have flowers, but nothing else.

Yep it's that time of year. We battle hurricanes for 5 months and wierd winter for 3 months. I can't win. I might replant in soem buckets. Plants are holding their friut for now I haven't seen any new leaves yet. I cut them all off in hopes it would help keep the fruit. Maybe this will be a good test. I'll keep you posted.
My neighbor read where you should cut all the leaves off except the very top even when the plant is healthy. I had to remind her in Florida we need the leaves to protect the fruit from the sun.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back