Tomatoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I have sweet 100's ready to pick tonight when I get homw. They are loaded. My other types are just like dors they are doing so well. I sprayed Hot pepper a couple days ago I'll have to do that again this weekend. My upside down tomatoe is far behind the rest. Not sure why. I think I am going to put it in a bigger container this weekend too.

Dor Please what is the last Tomatoe in your Photos. The one that looks like a Christmas Decoration?
Thanks

The one in the last pic is named Roma Mama. It is a great looking tomato.

I had to spray them with some insecticidal soda as something took a bite out of two of the large ones.

Thanks Dale and Jade. My cukes and squash are coming along slow but I have some hot banana peppers about ready to pick at my and my daughter house. I fertilized Sunday with some organic fertilizer I found at HD. I want to plant some more cukes around the 24th.

I won't even get started on my planting here in Ohio til next week. I planted early last year and ended up replanting everything. Not doing that again! :D

I know what you mean by not wanting too early. It's heart breaking when you have to redo the hard work you already did in the veggie garden. I rushed things a bit for my area by getting some plants to go along with planting seeds. Often I am not a patient person.

Enjoy those sweet 100's CG!

Dor, those chocolate cherry that you sent me are really growing! I will ahve to put some stakes around them soon. I really like how fast it grows.

Other than the one plant that I put on the back porch, my tomatoes are still in the greenhouse. They will probably go into the ground on Memorial Day weekend.

My chocolate cherries didn't fair as well Kim. I left them outside and when we had the thunderstorms a month ago my seedlings all took a terrible whipping. I was reading that in my area we can start seeds now to transplant by July so I am going to start some more black cherry and chocolate cherry tomatoes and some Brandywire and some others to get a late harvest. Tomatoes seem to do better starting in September here so I bought more indeterminate seeds.

Dor, right now is a great time for us, too! I want to have some plants to replace the ones that are producing now. I found that all I have to do is pur them outside in some peat pellets with plenty of water and they take off. It only take about 4 days for the seeds to germinate, and then the seedlings need to be transplanted in a week beacuse the are busting out. I am going to start some today again!

Has anyone grown Mortgage Lifter tomatoes before? I bought some seeds and want to start them tomorrow with my chocolate cherry and brandywine. They are indeterminate so I am going to try for a late harvest.

First tomatoes of the year

Attachments

• DSC01111.jpg
    DSC01111.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 248
A little off topic.... sorry for the thread jack....

I set my tomato plants out the last week of April this year. It was warm, sunny and we had had just the right amount of rain. I added peat, composted cow manure and organic top soil (in about a 1/3-1/3-1/3 ratio) to my planting bed and worked it all in prior to planting.

Added a bit of Garden Tone organic fertilizer to the bottom of each hole and thought I'd be good to go. We proceeded to have a month of May that was quite a bit cooler and MUCH wetter than normal with a couple of nights near freezing (I covered the plants those nights).

Even with the crappy weather, my Beefsteak plant (the most rigerous of the bunch so far) broke out with a 10 bud flower cluster about a week and a half ago. So far three have fully opened and bloomed, only to fall off and die. There are two more open today with one of them showing signs it is going to fall off as well. FWIW, the rest of the plant looks healthy. No yellowing, drooping or curling of the leaves.

This is my first garden since I was a kid living at home many, MANY years ago. Am I doing something wrong or is this common early in the season?

John, I have had some blossoms fall early on but later ones held on and made fruit. But I will defer to a more expert answer for you.

I had quite a few that fell off to. I don't know why but now I have more that are hanging on and I am getting lots of tomatoes. I started doing deeper watering and doing it every other day because of the hot temps here.

Sad sad sad. This is what mine look like after all that rain. I just went and stripped all the leaves off in hopes the fruit would mature and maybe the plants will recover. I'm sad

Attachments

• best tomato.JPG
    best tomato.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 263
  • tomato fence.JPG
    tomato fence.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 261
I had quite a few that fell off to. I don't know why but now I have more that are hanging on and I am getting lots of tomatoes. I started doing deeper watering and doing it every other day because of the hot temps here.

Dor,
One mistake people make with tomatoes is watering from the top. In other words with a sprinkler. Especially in hot areas such as Florida and Texas you should never water the entire plant. I use soaker hoses under my mulch to water from the bottom. Top watering causes wilt , other fungus, diseases which can cause fruit drop.;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back