Welcome Members from GH

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

A HUGE WELCOME to you Oma and Annette....Look forward to getting to know oyu better ...jump on in and get your roots dirty...you are a wonderful addition to the garden forum here...:)

Ron, thanks for posting the obituary. I couldn't and wouldn't have done it, but it needed to be done! KUDO's to you! And I'll be waiting anxiously to see all of your pictures. Don't think for a minute that your photos and efforts weren't appreciated.

Good thing I have some bath sheets, because I do so much drooling when I look at your pictures that I need something big enough to protect me....a bath sheet will go from my neck to my toes.

YOU ROCK, Ron!

Way to Go Ron!!!

You have put a huge grin on my face after seeing the Obit. Way to go! You rock!!:D
Edda

Guess I missed the obit....... oh well. Susan, I'm not really very happy about being "right". The only thing I feel I was right about was that I could not do my assigned job. I couldn't really edit articles anymore, and then so many went missing or came back out of form. More importantly I couldn't recruit articles like I had intended to from the beginning. I simply couldn't ask somemone in good faith to submit something, knowing it may well disappear. The final straw was that there was that communication from the webmaster pretty much became non-existent. So I resigned my volunteer role. I intended to continue as an active forum participant when I saw an opportunity to help someone. I guess I do that here along with one or two other forums I have found I like the looks of.

Bob, I don't honestly know whether the data was corrupted. All I know is that he moved to another server, and I suspect it became necessary to use a dedicated server. The site went offline for an hour or two, and then when he brought it back up, all the content was gone.

Well, that's the most logical explanation for why the data was lost. Been there and done that, more times than I'd like to recall.

Even if you have measures in place to help prevent it, sometimes all is still lost. At GardenGuides we spent a couple hundred per month for daily backups. The database crashed, can't recall why... No problem, call up and have 'em restore it. After a week of fighting with them they finally admitted "uh... your database was too big for the tape drives, we couldn't back it up..." Gee guys, you had no problem taking our money each month, which lead us to believe you were backing it up... I don't think it was out and out fraud, more like incompentence.

So that's my best guess on what happened in this case. Server problems can lead to read/write errors, which can corrupt your database, which can pretty much ruin things. Just a guess, but it's a definite possiblity.

On the rest of things, I'm real sorry to hear that. I suppose that it's best I not comment further, since obviously I'd be seen as a competitor and so I'll refrain from saying anything as a "professional courtesy"

Hopefully things will work better for everyone here.

Rest assured, Bob! They already are working out better here!

You may be right about the data being corrupted. There was a point where the hosting company kept telling him that we were overloading their servers and making it crash. It got to the point where they'd take the site off line briefly to prevent the crashes. Now there are constant error messages, so it's impossible to see anything.

Wes, the communication with the webmaster never existed. I'd contact him and I'd never know whether or not I'd get a reply in a day or six months down the pike. When you told me you were stepping down, I knew you were right. I didn't leave because I had made a commitment to stay on for a year, and after that, we'd revisit things. When Al fired all of us yesterday, it was 6 days shy of a year.

My gut feeling is that that action may have driven the last nail into the coffin.

It's really cool here. It's refreshing to be able to use an easy interface!

OK, folks, if I can, I'd like to gently steer the discussions away from all the problems of the other site, and back to welcoming folks from GH here, and letting them reconnect.

I'm sorry to hear things went badly there, and I can certainly understand why folks are frustrated and want to vent. It's also helpful to have some understanding of what happened and why.

However, let's try and focus on the positive aspects, and not get too focused on what went wrong at the old place.

Thanks!

Let's talk about planting stuff! It's getting to be that time of the year again! Woo Hoo!

Is there a designated trading area around here?

Out with the old and in with the new!!
One more thing before we close this, if anyone has a copy of the "obituary" would you pm me a copy? I would like to read it ...just to get some closure! LOL

So did you all see the sun yesterday? It was so bright here and the temps were great....the grdson and I went for a wonderful walk and came across a yard with at least 100 different rose bushes...the lady was out doing a bit of cleaning ...well we all began to visit and she invited me to come on back and get as many cuttings as I would like...I am in heaven...So with the two new palants a kind sir sent me home with and the few i was able to start when we moved last fall...I am on my way to a wonderful rose garden...

Let's talk about planting stuff! It's getting to be that time of the year again! Woo Hoo!

Is there a designated trading area around here?

We've got a seed exchange forum, do we need a plant exchange forum as well? If there's interest, I can check with the programming department and see if they can add one. Then I'll run it by the development group, legal and marketing to see what they think. If they approve we can submit it to the executive director and see what he thinks...

Oh, wait, they're all me... That makes it easy! So, do we need a plant trading area?

Bob, Maybe just add the word plant...so you have Seeds and Plant trades

I could do that, or I can add a seperate topic if there's interest. A topic just for plant trades would remove any confusion as to whether the item being offered was just seeds or a plant.

I could do that, or I can add a seperate topic if there's interest. A topic just for plant trades would remove any confusion as to whether the item being offered was just seeds or a plant.

Well there you go ...may be a good idea to have them seperate topic's..

Or what if you created an area where members could list what they have.....and leave it to the member to separate seeds, plants, cuttings, bulbs or whatever. Then they could indicate what they are looking for, whether they'll accept postage or anything else that might be pertinent.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back